Moving Up to Business module (BU51033)
Whatever your academic background and/or professional experience, this module will help you get the most from your masters degree.
During this module you will meet other students from different courses that share common components. This module will prepare you to get the most out of your studies and further your career after graduation in the world of business.
What you will learn
In this module, you will:
- study key concepts and skills for working in a range of business environments
- explore tools and techniques of business specific topics.
By the end of this module, you will be able to:
- develop and present a convincing, knowledge-based argument in key economics and statistics concepts
- discuss cultural and academic study stills.
All students take 5 components in total, 3 of which are pre-defined:
- Digital Literacies - Locating, selecting and appraising resources to support study and practice.
- Academic Skills - An overview of the study environment in the UK including writing, research and academic professionalism.
- Managing and Presenting Data - An overview of key concepts and tools in statistics including the description of data – graphical, tabular and descriptive statistics; data collection and sampling and how these are used within a business management context.
The other 2 are then appropriate to your programme/pathway:
- Management - An overview of key topics such as strategy; decision-making, leadership; human resources, entrepreneurship.
- Marketing - An overview of a range of marketing concepts such as marketing mix, strategy, customer relationships and branding and how digital technologies can be used in marketing.
- International Business - An introduction to the key concepts and tools for the analysis of the international economic business environment.
- Finance - An introduction to the key concepts and techniques necessary for financial analysis.
- Islamic Finance - An introduction to the key concepts of Islamic economy.
- Business Analytics - An introduction to Business Analytics tools and key concepts.
Assignments / assessment
Each component is assessed on a pass/fail basis.
In order to pass the module you must pass at least 1 of the 3 common components and both of the 2 programme/pathway components that you have chosen.
All components are assessed by an online quiz and have a 40% pass mark, you can make multiple attempts at the quizzes.
This module does not have a final exam.
This module is delivered on a 'credit bearing but not for degree purposes'. This means you do need to pass this module to ensure you complete your masters degree. However, the pass mark is not included when awarding the classification of the degree when graduating.
Teaching methods / timetable
Expect your first week to be intense, this ensures all students from all backgrounds have the required skills and knowledge to fully engage with the module and make the most of the conversion programme.
The module is taught online for the first 2 components and then your remaining 3 components are taught in person on campus.
All material will be available online before the lectures to allow you to prepare in advance.
This module is available on following courses: