Islamic Finance MSc
The Master's in Islamic Finance will teach you the key concepts of Islamic finance, banking and political economy, alongside the study of conventional finance.
Islamic Finance is a way to manage money and do business in a way that fits with the moral principles of Islam. Islamic financial institutions operate in over 75 countries worldwide and has become highly influential in the global financial landscape.
At the University of Dundee, we have a strong history and expertise in teaching traditional finance and economics. Offering this Islamic Finance master’s in collaboration with Al-Maktoum College allows us to combine our traditional knowledge with the expertise in Islamic banking and finance and wider Islamic studies on offer at Al-Maktoum. Few MSc Islamic Finance degrees of this kind exist in the UK .
Throughout the duration of this course, you will:
- Develop your understanding of the application of Islamic commercial law in relation to Islamic financial institutions and financial products, as well as the emergence and working mechanisms of Islamic capital markets.
- Cover the operations of Islamic banks and Islamic financial markets, alongside the nature of risk and its management in Islamic financial institutions
- Challenge the contemporary issues and debates in Islamic finance and gain an understanding of the internationalisation strategies and strategic decisions in business.
This degree is suitable for graduates who have completed a bachelor’s degree in a business subject, and those who have a bachelor degree in a subject different to business.
We offer you the opportunity to study our MSc Islamic Finance, or MSc Islamic Finance combined with another business topic. Our degrees are flexible, and this gives you the chance to focus on a specific area that interests you. It also shows future employers where your specific interests and skills are. There are three Islamic Finance degree options for you to choose from, we refer to these as specialist pathways. The option you choose to study is what will be printed on your graduating certificate.
All the MSc Islamic Finance degrees are made up of core modules (ones you must study) and a range of optional modules. In total, you will study nine modules across an MSc degree.
If you are qualify for selected University of Dundee scholarships you may also be eligible for additional Al Maktoum funding. See our Scholarship pages for details.
Khusniddinkhon Djamalov, Islamic Finance student
In partnership with
Our Islamic Finance courses are taught in partnership with Al-Maktoum College, Dundee
We will help you settle in at the start of your degree:
- Week 1 – you’ll meet your Programme Leader and your Adviser of Studies will help you choose your modules and give you advice on the available pathways.
- Week 2 – our Moving Up to Business module provides you with the business basics that you need to be ready for the start of teaching
- Week 3 – our main teaching block begins
English is the worldwide language of business. If English isn’t your first language, we will offer you two free English language modules that will focus on words and terminology that are used in business. These modules are an important signal to employers of your commitment to English language skills. They will also help you to feel confident in communicating when you start your business career.
If you have any questions about the admissions process, studying, or living in Dundee, please contact us