Race Equality Charter progress
In November 2020 staff/student REC surveys were conducted to gather important information about the experiences of our staff and students regarding race equality. There were over 1300 responses to the survey and over 2200 additional text box comments from our University community.
Focus groups with staff and students were held in January 2021. A total of 18 staff (9 white, 9 BME) and 13 students (13 BME) gave their insight into a range of topics. The focus groups and the survey responses are being used by the SAT team to explore the issues facing our institution and to create action points to address them. This work is ongoing and will support our application for a Bronze Race Equality Charter Mark.
The REC-SAT has compiled a report that summarises some of the prominent issues that have come to light from the staff/student surveys and focus group discussions and lists a number of recommendations to help tackle some of the key issues identified.
A full timeline of the work completed so far, and a projection of future work is shown below.
- Staff/Student REC Surveys conducted
- Principal Prof Sir Pete Downes submits REC membership application
- University REC membership confirmed
- Prof Hari Hundal appointed as UoD REC Lead
- Fresh Staff/Student REC Surveys conducted
- Membership of the REC SAT established
- 1st SAT meeting 4 Subwork groups established
- Staff and 2 Student Focus Groups held
- 2nd SAT Meeting Initial analysis of Staff/Student survey shared with SAT and EDI Committee
3rd SAT Meeting Analysis of Institutional, Staff, Student data by Subworking groups. Survey findings shared with UEG. Survey report commissioned
4th SAT Meeting Ongoing analysis of Staff and Student data and establishing SMART Actions. Draft survey report endorsed by EDI Committee
5th SAT Meeting Completion of data analysis and SMART actions by Subwork groups. Intention to submit filed. Survey report considered by UEG/Deans Group and PODCo
- 6th SAT Meeting Survey report released to UoD community
- Townhall Session with Staff
- Meeting with DUSA Executive, Principal and SAT Chair
- REC update to Court
Draft UoD REC application submitted to Advance HE for External Developmental Review
Incorporate Feedback from External Developmental Review into UoD REC application
Consultation of draft REC application and action plan with staff and students
- 7th SAT Meeting to finalise application. EDI Committee and UEG approval and submission of REC application to Advance HE