Applied Spanish 1A module (PS11003)
- Level 1
- Semester 1
- Languages - School of Humanities
- Coursework 100%
All language modules focus on practical communication skills and further develop grammatical competence emphasising the four skills of reading, listening, writing and speaking. You will recognise and apply competently basic lexical and grammatical structures, use a bilingual dictionary effectively and be able to read, understand and summarise the main points of basic and increasingly complex written texts and complex spoken messages in a variety of situations. You will conduct an independent investigation and project work, deepen your awareness of contemporary societies, cultures, customs and conventions and understand the wider European historical, geographical and socio-political context. You will also increase your ability to make informed cross-culture comparisons in a European context and build up cultural awareness and intercultural competence.
- Formal grammar
- Reading comprehension, dictionary skills, and précis skills
- Curriculum vitae and formal email
- Giving your opinion, expressing preferences, oral presentation skills
- Telephone skills
- Job interview skills
- Topic areas include education and student life, business and employment, geography and regional differences
PS11001 - Applied Spanish Intensive 1A
Ms Mayra Crowe
Ms Mayra Crowe and Ms Patricia Molina-Hamilton
There are 4 compulsory language tutorial hours per week over 11 weeks.
The assessed components of this module are:
- Oral presentation (25%)T
- Two written assessments (20% each)
- Oral assessment (25%)
- Grammar assessment (10%)
- Spanish Grammar in Context (2nd Edition 2008). Juan Kattan-Ibarra and Angela Howkins. Hodder Education. ISBN 9780-3495-8759
This module aims to enable students to develop linguistic knowledge, cultural awareness and transferable communication skills, likely to be useful in both professional and personal life.
On completion of this module, students should master the main structures of the relevant foreign language, be familiar with key features of the relevant foreign culture, and communicate competently in the foreign language in informal and formal situations of some complexity.