Applied French 1B (Intensive)
- Level 1
- Semester 2
- Languages - School of Humanities
- Coursework 50% Examination 50%
The Applied Intensive modules are available for students with little or no previous experience in the language.
All language modules focus on practical communication skills and further develop grammatical competence emphasising the four skills of reading, listening, writing and speaking. You will recognise and apply competently basic lexical and grammatical structures, use a bilingual dictionary effectively and be able to read, understand and summarise the main points of basic and increasingly complex written texts and complex spoken messages in a variety of situations. You will conduct an independent investigation and project work, deepen your awareness of contemporary societies, cultures, customs and conventions and understand the wider European historical, geographical and socio-political context. You will also increase your ability to make informed cross-culture comparisons in a European context and build up cultural awareness and intercultural competence.
- Formal grammar
- Reading comprehension, dictionary skills, and précis skills
- Listening, finding out, and giving instructions
- Basic telephone skills
- Oral presentation
- Topic areas include health, travel and transport, regional differences, historical personalities and events.
PF11001 - Applied French 1A (Intensive)
PF12004 - Applied French 1B
There are 4 compulsory language tutorial hours per week over 11 weeks.
The assessed components of this module are:
- Oral assessment (25%)
- Written assessment (15%)
- Grammar tests (10%)
- Oral examination (25%)
- Degree examination (25%)
- A Vos Marques! Accelerated French Course, A Andrews, S Tippett-Spirtou, B Edelston. Publisher Taylor & Francis Ltd, Routledge, ISBN 9780-415-15728-5
- Le Robert et Collins poche francais-anglais, anglais-francais Dominique Le Fur. Editions Le Robert; Editions: 2014 Collection: Le Robert & Collins Poche Langue: Francais ISBN-10: 2849028533 ISBN-13: 978-2849028537
- This module aims to enable students to develop basic linguistic knowledge, cultural awareness and transferable communication skills, likely to be useful in both professional and personal life.
- On completion of their chosen module, students should master all the basic structures of the relevant foreign language, recognize key features of the relevant foreign culture, and communicate satisfactorily in the foreign language in straightforward situations.