Stay at home, save lives | Coronavirus updates and guidance
Applied French 1A (Intensive)
On this page
- Level 1
- Semester 1
- Languages - School of Humanities
- Coursework 100%
This Applied Intensive module is available for students with little or no previous experience in the language.
All language modules focus on practical communication skills and further develop grammatical competence emphasising the four skills of reading, listening, writing and speaking. You will recognise and apply competently basic lexical and grammatical structures, use a bilingual dictionary effectively and be able to read, understand and summarise the main points of basic and increasingly complex written texts and complex spoken messages in a variety of situations. You will conduct an independent investigation and project work, deepen your awareness of contemporary societies, cultures, customs and conventions and understand the wider European historical, geographical and socio-political context. You will also increase your ability to make informed cross-culture comparisons in a European context and build up cultural awareness and intercultural competence.
- Basic grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation
- Informal letter writing
- Speaking about oneself and others
- Asking for information, answering questions, expressing an opinion
- Topic areas include family life, education, employment, leisure, food and drink.
PF11003 - Applied French 1A
There are 4 compulsory language tutorial hours per week over 11 weeks.
The assessed components of this module are:
- Oral presentation (25%)
- Two written assessments (20% each)
- Oral assessment (25%)
- Grammar assessment (10%)
- A Vos Marques! Accelerated French Course. A Andrews, S Tippett-Spirtou, B Edelston. Publisher Taylor & Francis Ltd, Routledge, ISBN 9780-415-15728-5.
- Le Robert et Collins poche francais-anglais, anglais-francais Dominique Le Fur. Editions Le Robert, Edition: 2014 Collection; Le Robert & Collins Poche Langue: Francais ISBN-10: 2849-0285-33 ISBN-13: 978-2849028537.
- This module aims to enable students to develop basic linguistic knowledge, cultural awareness and transferable communication skills, likely to be useful in both professional and personal life.
- On completion of the module, students should be able to master the basic structures of the relevant foreign language, recognize some key features of the relevant foreign culture, and communicate satisfactorily in the foreign language in specific straightforward situations.