Generating ideas and responding to research funding opportunities
Understanding the funding landscape, making your plan, finding funding opportinities and working with partners
Apart from creative thinking and knowledge of prior-art in your field, which you gain by engaging with your peers, attending and presenting at conferences and joining academic networks, the engagement with non-academic stakeholders is important in a research environment that looks to research for providing solutions to societal, cultural and economic challenges.
Understanding the funding landscape for your area of research is essential to be able to apply to the right funder at the right time.
- Who funds your peers?
- Who would benefit from your research?
- Would industry fund your research?
- Do you need to start by engaging with stakeholders and could you do this by providing consultancy?
- Which funders for your area of research are available and would fund the type of project you would like to undertake?
Understanding the funding landscape
The Research Development Team in RIS maintains close contacts with the main research funders, particularly the EU, UKRI and the major charity funders. Look out for funder visits advertised as part of the DIIF programme , see updates in the RIS Newsletter or arrange a personal funding planning meeting with a member of the Research Development Team
OPD provides training, such as how to navigate the funding landscape in collaboration with RIS.
Developing your individual funding plan
If you are an Early Career Researcher, new to Dundee, new to research funding or moving your research into a new direction and making a fresh start with research funding, a meeting with a member of the Research Development Team in RIS can help you plan which funders and schemes to go for and when.
Identifying funding opportunities and receiving regular call information
We subscribe to ResearchConnect, a research funding portal that allows you to search a comprehensive database of research funding opportunities from UK and international funders.
Use ResearchConnect to:
- access tens of thousands of funding opportunities from UK and international funders
- create personalised searches based on your discipline, activities and location
- set up regular email alerts for your bespoke searches
Go to the ResearchConnect login page and click on the blue ‘Login with your institution details’ button. Enter your institution name (University of Dundee), which will appear in a drop-down list as you type. The University of Dundee login page will appear and you will be able to login using your University credentials.
- ResearchConnect Quick Start User Guide (PDF on Sharepoint)
- ResearchConnect User Guide (PDF on Sharepoint)
- View our in-house training presentation (Powerpoint presentation on Sharepoint)
Identifying collaborators and stakeholders to build project teams
RIS supports you with industry engagement and project planning with industry and other stakeholder involvement. Learn more:
To raise the profile of your research and build collaborations with academic colleagues or external stakeholders, why not propose a DIIF workshop or participate in the programme of events.
For help with all of the above, contact firstname.lastname@example.org