Stay at home, save lives | Coronavirus updates and guidance
Electromagnetism and Light
On this page
The goal of this module is to introduce students to key concepts in electricity and magnetism that underpin honours level studies in topics that range from photonics to solid state systems. It will also develop students understanding of electromagnetic waves and the propagation of light.
On successful completion of this module, students should be able to:
- Understand and be able to explain a range of electrostatic and magnetic phenomena making use of calculus and vector mathematics
- Understand the concepts of electromagnetic induction, inductance and electromagnetic energy.
- Analyse and construct alternating current circuits making use of inductors, capacitors and resistors
- Apply the concept of waves to electromagnetic systems to develop Maxwell’s description of electromagnetism.
- Apply the concept of an electromagnetic wave to the understanding of light and its interactions.
- Have the experimental experience to practically implement the theoretical understanding developed in 1-5 above.