Principles of Marketing Research module (BU41023)
Learn how to collect high quality data to inform marketing decisions for organisations.
The course will provide an introduction to marketing research, a range of techniques to collect information to help organisations to take informed marketing decisions.
You will concentrate on the design of market research projects, how market research data is collected, and the implications this has for analysis.
The module will cover the following topics:
- the role of market research
- the marketing research process
- primary and secondary data
- collecting qualitative evidence
- collecting quantitative data
- questionnaire design
What you will learn
In this module, you will:
- explain and illustrate the basic techniques that have been developed by marketing researches
- demonstrate the importance of these techniques using various case studies
By the end of this module, you will:
- understand the nature and scope of market research
- appreciate the various forms market research can take
- interpret and comment on the results obtained from such research
Assignments / assessment
Group research proposal (30%)
Weekly quizzes (10%)
- Measures your weekly engagement
Discussion board & live class engagement (10%)
- Measures your contribution to discussions held in the online discussion boards and live classes
Class test (50%)
- An online class test will be sat instead of a final exam
This module does not have a final exam.
Teaching methods / timetable
This module follows a blended learning approach, combining traditional teaching activities with digital learning. This provides you with an element of control over your learning by allowing you some flexibility in when, where, and how you learn. As an active learner, you will engage with the module in various ways including (but not limited to):
- interactive live sessions
- assigned readings
- watching videos
- reflective tasks
- taking short quizzes where you can test your progress
- collaborative group work
- contribution to discussion boards.
You will study in 10 week-long blocks, that concentrate on different aspects of marketing research design and execution. Each week you will be expected to engage with the module by studying online materials provided on My Dundee and attending live sessions. In these sessions, you will further develop your understanding of the concepts covered in the online content. The live sessions will be interactive and built around a number of case studies and will cover such activities as discussions and quizzes.
This module is available on following courses: