Marketing Strategy module (BU30018)
Learn how to devise plans that achieve marketing goals through target market analysis, customer understanding, and tactical execution.
This module focuses on the plan devised by a business or organisation to achieve its overall marketing goals.
It involves analysing the target market, understanding customer needs, and creating a product positioning, promotion, and distribution roadmap.
Marketing strategies outline the specific tactics and channels needed to reach and engage the target audience and the methods for measuring success.
It involves market research, branding, advertising, pricing, and other elements to maximise the organisation's competitive advantage and generate customer satisfaction and loyalty.
A well-executed marketing strategy helps businesses communicate their value proposition effectively and achieve desired outcomes.
What you will learn
During this module, you will develop skills in:
- strategic marketing planning and analysis by exploring environmental analysis, strategic marketing planning process, and objective setting
- segmentation, targeting, and positioning
- value proposition and competitiveness
- marketing programmes (tactics)
- implementation, evaluation, and control of different marketing strategies
You will also apply theoretical models and frameworks of strategic marketing to practical case studies.
By the end of this module, you should be able to:
- demonstrate a critical understanding of the major concepts, theories and techniques of analysis associated with strategic marketing
- critically evaluate the importance of a strong positioning strategy to ensure long-term success
- apply critical analysis to marketing problems using appropriate strategic marketing models, tools and methods
- develop a comprehensive strategic marketing plan based on realistic, practical and internally consistent mixes
- work effectively in a small team on analysing and solving marketing problems
Assignments / assessment
Group presentation (30%)
- A strategic marketing plan proposal
- Due in Week 23
Individual assignment (70%)
- A strategic marketing plan
- Due in Week 24
This module does not have a final exam.
Teaching methods / timetable
For this module, lectures will be taught online, and tutorials will be face-to-face.
You will have regular lectures each week (weeks 20-24), and you will be required to actively engage with materials provided online.
This may include videos, case studies, readings, quizzes or discussion boards. Presentation sessions will occur in the last teaching week, where you will be expected to attend and present your work.
|Introduction and environmental analysis
|Strategic marketing planning process and objective setting - Where do we want to be?
Segmentation, Targeting & Positioning
Developing value proposition and competitiveness - How do we get there long-term?
|Developing marketing programmes: Tactics - How do we get there short-term?
|Implementation, evaluation and control - How do we know if we got there?
This module is available on following courses: