Relocating to Dundee

Information and support if you are relocating to work at the University of Dundee.

On this page

Moving to a different city or country and a different culture is exciting and can throw up a range of unexpected challenges. We are here to help you find information, advice and support so that you get the best out of your experience.

“For me, coming to the university meant changing career and continents. I'm delighted that I came, a testament to the openness and professionalism of my colleagues, the university's dedication to teaching, and the surprise of a hidden city to discover.”

Emanuela Lecchi, Lecturer (Law)


City flat or country mansion, seaside cottage or smart town villa - Dundee has a wide range of accommodation options. The University of Dundee does not provide staff accommodation. However, there are a number of local letting and property agents.

Our staff live in a variety of places in the local region which are amongst the most affordable properties to buy in Scotland.

Some popular areas include:

  • Dundee west end (near the University)
  • Broughty Ferry (to the east of Dundee)
  • Tayport and Wormit (across the River Tay in Fife)
  • Carse of Gowrie and surrounding areas to the west of Dundee.

You can learn more about the city in the Dundee City Development Plan to 2026.

Living costs

The average cost of private rent in Dundee is almost 40% less than Edinburgh, and over 20% less than the Scottish national average (Citylets Rental Report Q3, 2022)

Average private accommodation rent in Dundee
1 bedroom £593 per month
2 bedrooms £870 per month
3 bedrooms £1,063 per month

Figures from Citylets Rental Report Q1, 2024

There are rules in the UK about how many people can legally share a room/flat so please check these to ensure you budget for the right size of property. You can find more advice about overcrowding on the Shelter Scotland website.

The River Tay and Dundee from Fife

Renting a property

Since 2017 most private tenancies in Scotland use a standardised lease which is open-ended, has protection from frequent rent-increases, and a ban on "no fault" evictions. If you are moving from elsewhere in the UK, or had an older tenancy in Scotland, you can find out about the differences

You can sign up with a letting agent to find a property. For security, look for a letting agency that is a member of a professional body with a code of conduct such as Propertymark or Safeagent.

Some local agents are listed alphabetically below to help you get started. This list is not exhaustive and listing does not imply that they have been vetted or endorsed by the University. Some property agents listed in the "buying a property" section also let properties.

Buying a property

Buying a property in Scotland is a slightly different process from buying in other parts of the UK, the major difference being the point at which the contract becomes legally binding.

A guide explaining the process for buying a property in Scotland has been published by the Scottish Government at

Tayside and Perthshire Solicitors Property (TPSP) is made up of the Tayside Solicitors Property Centre (TSPC) and Perthshire Solicitors Property Centre (PSPC) who represent over 300 solicitors' property centres including some of those named below and produce a weekly free guide to property for sale in Tayside and Perthshire. Fife Solicitors Property Centre (FifeSPC) covers almost all solicitors' property centres in North East Fife.

Local papers The Courier and the Evening Telegraph advertise accommodation to let and for sale every day but the bulk of the advertisements appear in the Courier on Thursdays and the Evening Telegraph on Wednesdays.

The Press & Journal which covers the north east and extends to the Angus and Dundee areas, publishes a property section on Tuesdays.

The Scotsman publishes a property section on Wednesdays (main day) and Thursdays.

Among the main estate agents/property centres covering Dundee and area are:

This list is by no means exhaustive, and listing does not imply endorsement by the University.

Relocation expenses

The University makes a contribution towards the cost of relocation for staff who move to Dundee to take up a position with the University. You must move to within a 25 mile radius of Dundee to be eligible for relocation expenses.

For full details see relocation expenses

Walker on the Isle of Skye


There are 35 primary schools in the region feeding into eight secondary schools. In the private sector, Dundee High School is one of the leading fee paying schools in Scotland, consistently scoring well on academic and sporting achievement.

Enrolment in primary and secondary schools

Applications for primary school places can only be submitted once you are in the country.

You can make applications to the following local councils:

Pre-school education

Pre-school education is widely provided in the region including a number of excellent private nurseries. All three and four year olds are entitled to a free, part time pre-school place. Local authorities have a duty to ensure that enough places are available for all three and four year olds whose parents want them to attend.

University Nursery

The University Nursery provides high quality childcare from birth to five years and aims to prepare children for entry into primary education using a forest school philosophy in an inner-city environment.

Travelling in local area

Dundee and surrounding areas are well connected by public transport – both locally and further afield.

We promote green and sustainable transport providing dedicated cycle sheds and electric car charging points. Our employee benefits include participation in the cycle to work scheme offering great savings on a new bike and safety equipment.

Dundee’s train station is on the East Coast main line with excellent connections both in Scotland and beyond, and with Dundee’s airport direct flights to London are available.

How to travel to the University of Dundee by car, train, bus, or plane

Find a job

Search for job vacancies at the University of Dundee