Applying for a bike through Cycle Solutions
Updated on 7 July 2023
Use our cycle to work scheme to make savings on the cost of a new bike and safety equipment
Cycle to work is an employee benefit that saves you 25-39% on a bike and accessories. It also encourages alternative travel and reduces our environmental impact.
How does the scheme work?
The University of Dundee pays for the full cost the bike and any safety equipment you need. You pay this cost back through salary sacrifice arrangement over 12 months under a hire agreement with the University.
At the end of the hire term Cycle Solutions will contact you to discuss your options.
You make savings because salary sacrifice reduces your gross pay. This, in turn, reduces the amount of income tax and National Insurance that you pay each month. Savings are dependent on your personal tax code.
Cycle Solutions is open to employees who:
- are over the age of 18
- are paid monthly
- have at least 12 months remaining on their contract of employment
- and have been in post for at least 6 months
You do not have legal ownership of the equipment during the 12 months hire agreement. It is your responsibility to insure the bicycle.
If your employment ends before the end of the hire agreement, the outstanding balance would be repayable immediately. If possible, the University will deduct this balance from your last net salary payment. This means that there would be no tax and National Insurance savings on the outstanding balance.
Scheme participation is available from 1 September and will re-launch again every 4 months (1 September, 1 January, and 1 May).
Applying for your cycle to work certificate
- Find your new bike using the Cycle Solutions company store and order your bike and/or accessories online. You'll receive a call to confirm the details of your order.
- You can also get a quote from a local bike shop, however you won't qualify for the extra 10% discount.
- Remember, safety equipment can form all or part of your package too! The maximum retail value for the bike and equipment is currently £3,000.
- Submit your application via the Cycle Solutions page (whether buying through Cycle Solutions direct, or a local store).
If your application is successful
- The University will pay an invoice from Cycle Solutions for the full retail amount of your bike package.
- Cycle Solutions will email your certificate within two weeks.
- If you have ordered direct, Cycle Solutions will arrange delivery
- If you are using a local shop, you'll receive a redemption code
- To collect your bike package, take the certificate to your chosen bike shop along with photo ID.
Environment & Sustainability Manager
+44 (0)1382 386996