Stay at home, save lives | Coronavirus updates and guidance
Engineering Project 1
On this page
The aims of the module are to give students the ability to appreciate the processes involved in engineering and scientific projects, while working in small multi-disciplinary teams under minimum supervision. They will develop essential communication skills in engineering drawing and sketching, essential computer skills, basic project management and reporting skills and an appreciation of Health and Safety concepts and risk assessment.
This module is preparatory for the Engineering Project II module in Semester II, where students will also work in groups.
Core contents includes:
- introduction to civil, mechanical, electrical engineering and renewable energy;
- IT skills encompassing word processing, spreadsheets, presentation software and introduction to CAD software;
- communication of engineering data between disciplines and effective teamworking;
- reading, researching, collating information;
- project planning and time management;
- oral presentation;
- conceptual design work for Semester 2 material;
- risk assessment (of project work)