When to use the VPN
Updated on 9 December 2020
The VPN (Virtual Private Network) allows staff who are offsite, or are working from home to access certain University systems
The VPN is a software application that, when active, connects your machine to the University network as if you were on-campus. This allows you to access certain applications when off-site or at home.
Installing the VPN
If you are using a Windows 10 One Dundee desktop the VPN is already installed, you'll find it in your start menu called "SonicWall VPN Connection". If you are using another device there are guides to install it
When to use the VPN
The VPN is a critical piece of infrastructure and we have a limited number of licences.
Only use it if you really need it, and disconnect when you are finished.
Many staff may not need to use the VPN at all. Most of our applications are available over a normal internet connection, or via your normal username and password using multi factor authentication.
Some examples of when you may need the VPN are below.
No extra authentication needed
- Internet access
- Microsoft Office desktop applications
Multi factor authentication
- Microsoft 365 web apps (Outlook on the web)
- My Dundee
- One University
- Learning Spaces
- Library resources
- Terminal 4
- H:\ and S:\ drives
- Specialist services in labs
- Direct access to servers
- Other specialist systems - always try to connect without before you turn on the VPN
Help us keep everyone online
In the past, you may have used the VPN when you didn't need to. Please think about other users and do not use it unless you really have to.
- Ebooks and library resources will often have an "institution login" link that will allow you to log in using your normal username and password. If you cannot work out how to access a resource please email the library to ask advice.
- If you have used the VPN because you had difficulties with Multi Factor Authentication, look at using the Microsoft Authenticator app to either generate codes or send push notification rather than text message codes. If you have changed mobile number contact the service desk who can reset your MFA settings.
Following this advice will help fellow staff and students who need the VPN to do their work to get access without causing issues.
Always disconnect from the VPN when you are finished using it