Connect to SonicWall VPN on Windows
How to install and use the VPN to get remote access to secure services on your Windows computer. The VPN is only for use when off campus.
Find out when you need to use it before connecting as many of our services no longer require the VPN
How to install
If you're using a managed Windows desktop the SonicWall VPN has been installed for you and can be found in the Start menu. You only need to install it if your computer is non-managed/personal.
- Go to AppsAnywhere. If you haven't done so already, you will be asked to install the AppsAnywhere Launcher - follow the on-screen instructions to do so.
- Once you have been validated, click the 'Download' option on VPN Client.
- Click the setup64.exe attachment to download it
- Once downloaded, please click to run and wait while the VPN is installed
- This will require a machine reboot when prompted
- Once finished, an icon called SonicWall VPN Connection should appear on your desktop
If you have a username that doesn’t include your ID number (students) or end with a number (staff), make sure you enter it correctly.
How to connect
Open the SonicWall VPN Connection by selecting it from the Start menu (managed Windows desktop) or double-clicking the desktop icon (non-managed/personal computer)
The first time you use it you may be asked for some or all of the following information:
- Enter uod.vpn.dundee.ac.uk in the Server Details field
- Make sure the Login Group field says Dundee University
- Click Next then Finish on the next step
The VPN will remember these details the next time you launch it.
Enter your University login details (as described above) and click Connect
If asked to set a location, pick Work network
Stop the VPN automatically running when you log in
Unfortunately, no workaround exists to stop the auto-run on Windows 10 computers.
Disconnect from the VPN
Remember to disconnect from the VPN when you are finished using it
Hover over the icon in the system tray (you may have to show hidden icons) to see if you're connected to the VPN. Click on the network icon in the system tray, then on the entry for SonicWall VPN Connection. Select Disconnect to end your connection.