Connect to Connect Tunnel VPN on Windows
Updated on 4 August 2023
How to install and use the VPN to get remote access to secure services on your Windows computer. The VPN is only for use when off campus.
Find out when you need to use it before connecting as many of our services no longer require the VPN
How to install
If you're using a managed Windows desktop the Connect Tunnel VPN has been installed for you and can be found in the Start menu. You only need to install it if your computer is non-managed/personal.
- Go to AppsAnywhere. If you haven't done so already, you will be asked to install the AppsAnywhere Launcher - follow the on-screen instructions to do so.
- Once you have been validated, click the 'Download' option on VPN Client.
- Click the ngsetup64.exe attachment to download it
- Once downloaded, please click to run and wait while the VPN is installed
- This will require a machine reboot when prompted
- Once finished, an icon called Connect Tunnel VPN should appear on your desktop
If you have a username that doesn’t include your ID number (students) or end with a number (staff), make sure you enter it correctly.
How to connect
If you’re up to date with the latest software updates you will see an icon on your desktop called Connect Tunnel VPN. If the icon is not there you can use the Windows Search function to locate the software. To log in to Connect Tunnel VPN:
The VPN will remember these details the next time you launch it.
Enter your University login details (as described above) and click Connect
- Open Connect Tunnel VPN
- Click Connect
- A new browser window will open in a separate tab. You will receive the same MFA prompt as if logging into your University Microsoft365 email. Enter your University login details (as described above)
- A page will appear asking that you enter your second login factor by text or Authenticator app, depending on your MFA setup
- A SonicWall active browser will open in a separate tab. This will appear as ‘Authentication is granted’. You can close this window as soon as you see the connected message appear.
For those who have already logged in using MFA on their University account, you will not be required to authenticate, and you will be automatically directed to the authentication granted browser window.
The first time you use the VPN you may be asked for some or all of the following information:
- Enter Dundee University in the Name field
- Enter vpn.dundee.ac.uk in the Server field
- Make sure the Login Group field says Azure SAML
- Click next then finish on the next step
Disconnect from the VPN
Remember to disconnect from the VPN when you are finished using it
Hover over the icon in the system tray (you may have to show hidden icons) to see if you're connected to the VPN. Click on the network icon in the system tray, then on the entry for Connect Tunnel VPN. Select Disconnect to end your connection.