Occupational Health Service
We offer an accessible but confidential service to all employees and give impartial advice to achieve the best interests of both employees and the University.
You may be referred to the Occupational Health Service by Human Resources, your Unit manager, Safety Services, or you may refer yourself.
Our main aims are to:
- provide advice and support relating to any adverse effects of work on health or health on work
- support managers in their responsibility for maintaining the health, safety and welfare of staff
- ensure that University achieves best practice in the management of occupational health risks.
- reduce ill-health absence and the incidence of work-related ill health.
The usual things we do are:
- advise individuals and units, including referral to a physician if needed
- proactively intervene in suitable cases of sickness absence
- occupational health surveillance
- assist with rehabilitation, redeployment, ill-health retiral cases, and disability adjustments
- employment health screening
- arrange Hepatitis B Immunisations
- health promotion activities
If you are experiencing health problems that are affecting your work you can talk to us in confidence.
For treatment and general health matters, you should contact your own GP, since Occupational Health can only provide a service for work-related issues.
Post Covid Syndrome (Long Covid)
We offer support and advice regarding return to work adjustments to both manager and employee. This can be arranged through management referral, but part of the standard Covid-19 case handling process is that we are informed of all staff who test positive. We then contact the person confidentially to offer support and advice, which can include considerations relating to return to work.
The Faculty of Occupational Medicine has produced guidance for employees and managers in relation to Post Covid Syndrome and returning to work, which may be helpful.
We are available on Level 1 of the Support Hub in the OTI Building.
Phone: +44 (0)1382 386948 or +44 (0)1382 385410