Professor Nick Brewer
FRSB FHEA MRSC
Professor (Teaching and Scholarship)
DArcy Thompson Unit, School of Life Sciences
Academic Lead for International College Dundee
+44 (0)1382 384706
I am Professor within the School of Life Sciences at the University of Dundee. I am also the Programme Lead for the Associate and Foundation programmes and the University Academic Lead for both the International College Dundee (ICD) and FE College Articulation.
I’m Yorkshire born and bred, originally from Halifax in West Yorkshire. I studied Chemistry at The University of Leeds for my undergraduate degree and the University of Manchester for my PhD in Physical Chemistry. My specialism is Physical and Inorganic Chemistry as applied to Biology. I have a particular interest in Thermodynamics and Chemical/Enzyme Kinetics.
I am also interested in in enhancing the student experience with a particular emphasis on widening participation. I am extremely passionate about lab work, especially project work, I am keen to engage and encourage students from day one to design experiments and improve their practical skills.
Before I came to the University of Dundee, I taught at Bradford College, my experience at Bradford was fantastic. I taught students from non-traditional backgrounds and most of these students to begin with were low in confidence but as the weeks and months progressed began to develop into confident, capable scientists and this experience made me determined to pursue a career in Education. I believe passionately that as many people in our society should have the opportunity to come to University.
- BSc Chemistry with Analytical Chemistry from Leeds University
- MSc in Petrochemicals and Hydrocarbon Chemistry from Manchester University
- PhD in Physical Chemistry from Manchester University
- Previously a Lecturer at Bradford College in Chemistry, Physics and Maths
Awards and affiliations
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Biology
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry
- Chemistry/Physics as applied to Biology
- Design, delivery, and assessment of laboratory based practical classes, workshops, and lectures.
Other roles within the School and University include Adviser of studies, and Module manager (BS11005, BS11007, BS12006, BS12008 and BS21011).
Modules I contribute teaching to
- BS11001 - Biomolecules
- BS11005 - Numeracy, Chemistry and Physics for the Biological/Biomedical Sciences (Level 1 Semester 1)
- BS11007 - Physics for the Life Sciences Workshops (Level 1 Semester 1)
- BS11008 - Core Skills in the Life Sciences (Level 1 Semester 1)
- BS12006 - Chemistry for the Life Sciences Workshops (Level 1 Semester 2)
- BS12008 - Introduction to Scientific Enterprise (Level 1 Semester 2)
- BS12010 - Core Skills 1B (Level 1 Semester 2)
- BS21011 - Developing Scientific Enterprise (Level 2 Semester 1)
- BS21012 - Core Skills in the Life Sciences 2A (Level 2 Semester 1)
- BS22003 - Core Skills in the Life Sciences 2B (Level 2 Semester 2)
- MBChB Year 1 - Student Selected Component (SSC) project supervisor
|Fellow of the Royal Society of Biology||2020|
Nick Brewer, Ian Ganley, and Yogesh Kulathu have been promoted to Personal Chair (Professor) as part of the 2022 Annual Review process for academic staff.
The results of the National Student Survey (NSS) 2020 were recently announced with continued successes for our Biological and Biomedical Sciences programmes.
Nick Brewer, Associate Dean, Learning and Teaching for the School has been promoted to Reader as part of the 2019 Annual Review process for academic staff.