NHS Scheme for Scotland (NHSSS)

Information and support about the NHSS pension scheme.

On this page

The NHS Superannuation Scheme (NHS SS) for Scotland is a pension scheme for those employed by the NHS. However the University of Dundee is a Direction Body for the NHS which allows certain staff employed at the University to join or re-join the NHS SS if they satisfy certain criteria (see below).

See our other pensions

The national scheme for NHS employees is open to a very few members of University staff. 

Information on employee contribution rates

General information on NHSSS

New starts

Staff who meet the following criteria may be allowed to stay in the Scottish NHS Scheme.

To qualify you must:

  • have been contributing to the Scottish NHS Scheme within 12 months of joining the University
  • University contracts must be 'Lecturers', 'Clinical Academic/Researchers', ' Research Nurse', Research Pharmacist' or 'PhD students' within the 'Medical School' or 'Dentistry' or 'School of Life Sciences' - i.e. the contract held with the University must specify working within the Medical School or Dentistry or School of Life Sciences'.
  • Applied to join NHS within 3 months of joining the University

Academic and Academic related staff will be contractually enrolled into Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) from their start date. Staff should contact Pensionsoffice@dundee.ac.uk within 3 months of commencing employment at the University to enquire about joining the NHS Superannuation Scheme.

For members who have a NHS 'added years contract' or are currently a member with NHS with another part-time post, please contact Pensions Office.


Normal retirement age

Normal Retirement Age is dependent on what section of NHS Superannuation Scheme you are in.

View step-by-step guide to retirement

Early retirement 55
(Rising to 57 from April 2028)
Help and support

For help and support with your pension, see the pensions.gov.scot website.

If you'd like information on how the University administers your pension, contact the Pensions Office.

See our other pensions