Corporate Restructuring & Finance module (BU42002)
Learn about issues associated with corporate restructuring events such as mergers and acquisitions (M&A), buyouts and strategic alliances.
The module looks at issues associated with corporate restructuring events such as mergers and acquisitions (M&A), buyouts, and strategic alliances.
These events are some of the most important in the growth and development of a business.
Acquiring another company, buying out a division or entering into a strategic alliance impacts a business's governance, structure, and operations.
Such corporate restructuring can influence the ownership of a business, including: where it operates, what it does and how it performs.
What you will learn
In this module, you will learn :
- the motives behind corporate restructuring events and why a company acquires another company, sells off a division in a management buyout or forms a strategic alliance with another business
- whether the incidence of M&A, buyouts and strategic alliances varies from one country to another
- about the corporate restructuring deal looking at share returns and profits earned by the buyer and seller or the two parties collaborating in a strategic alliance
- the financing of corporate restructuring deals, including how a deal is paid for (i.e., cash v securities), whether securities are used, and whether the purchaser issues shares or bonds.
- issues such as insider trading or stock market overreaction around corporate restructuring events
Assignments / assessment
This module will be assessed by:
- Coursework (20%)
- Three hour unseen final exam (80%)
Teaching methods / timetable
- There will be 3 x 1-hour sessions per week.
- The 3 sessions will be face-to-face on the University campus (from week 14 onwards).
- Half of the sessions will involve lectures and the other half tutorials.
- There will be one lab session using the Bloomberg terminals in the Bloomberg lab.
|1||Introduction to M&A|
|2||Different theories of M&A|
|5||Buyouts and Strategic alliances|
|7||Overreaction to M&A news|
|8||Momentum in share returns around M&A|
|9||Insider trading around M&A|
|10||The financing of M&A|
This module is available on following courses: