Operations Management in SMEs module (BU32005)
Learn principles and practises for Operations Management in Small and Medium Enterprises, improving your practical knowledge and problem-solving skills.
Explore essential areas in Operations Management, including product/service design, capacity management, inventory and supply chain management, lean operations, quality management, and project management.
Each topic will be discussed in depth, enabling you to analyse and solve complex problems related to production, goods, and services.
You will also have the opportunity to use simulation software to prepare for roles within Operations Management.
What you will learn
In this module, you will:
- develop a comprehensive understanding of Operations Management concepts, tools, and strategies applicable
- explore the dynamic trade-offs between operational decisions, financial performance, and sustainable practices
By the end of this module, you will be able to:
- apply Operations Management principles to real-world management issues
- solve complex challenges concerning production, planning, and control of goods and services
- learn how to use simulation software
Assignments / assessment
Reflective summary of group work (30%)
- as part of a small group you will work through a business simulation game to experience problem solving and decision making within a SME context
Individual final report (70%)
- A report using academic literature and practical cases in Operations Management
Teaching methods / timetable
You should expect weekly lectures and tutorials. There are 11 weeks of teaching.
For this module, the exact dates of teaching and/or reading weeks are to be confirmed.
This module is available on following courses: