Apply for discretionary funding if you are a UK student

Updated on 29 January 2024

Who is eligible for discretionary funding and how to apply. 

On this page

If you are experiencing unexpected money problems, the UK Student Discretionary Funds can provide support. For example, if you are unable to pay for housing or living costs following a loss of income.

You cannot use any money you may receive to pay for tuition fees.

Who can apply

You may be able to receive financial support for general living costs if you are:

  • a UK resident student, or the child of an EU migrant worker
  • a UK full-time or part-time undergraduate or postgraduate student studying a course as part of a degree programme.
  • a full or part-time Nursing student who is undertaking a Pre-Registration Nursing course

You will also need to be:

  • eligible to apply for a student loan from your funding body or a nursing bursary from SAAS


  • have accessed the maximum government funding to which you are eligible

Students who are not eligible

You are not able to apply for financial assistance if you are:

  • a co-curriculum student in your first year attending college. You need to contact your college's student services for financial aid.
  • on an extended due process or are writing up a thesis.
  • studying on the MSc Educational Psychology and receiving the Educational Psychology training grant.
  • From the EU or are an International Student.

How to apply

Apply via My Dundee (login required)

Student Funding

+44 (0)1382 384801

Guide category Student support