Dr Susan Levy
Social Work, School of Education and Social Work
+44 (0)1382 381545
Old Medical School
Dr Susan Levy is a Senior Lecturer in Social Work, in the School of Education and Social Work, University of Dundee. Susan’s undergraduate degree and PhD were in Social Geography at the University of St Andrews. She proceeded to work at the University of St Andrews, as well as Edinburgh and the Open University before joining the University of Dundee in 2007.
Susan is the Athena SWAN lead for the School of Education and Social Work and led the School's successful application for a Bronze Award.
Susan is the Social Work Admissions Tutor and Erasmus lead.
Areas of research:
- Social justice, wellbeing and the inclusion of marginalized groups, particularly in the context of disability, gender and cultural diversity.
- The use of arts in social work as a methodology for relationship based practice and access to community arts based practice.
- International and transnational social work.
Recent Funded Projects:
2018, Social Work Scotland: Social Care in Scottish Prisons, Principal Investigator (PI), working with Dr Fiona Kumari-Campbell, Dr Lynn Kelly and Dr Fernando Fernandes.
2017-18, Health Improvement Scotland: Arts Practice for developing Communication and Agency with People with Profound and Multiple Disabilities, Artlink, Edinburgh. Principal Investigator (PI), working with Dr Hannah Young.
2015-16, Scottish Social Services Council: Review of Social Work Education Report: How can universities best select the right people for social work programmes? PI: Prof. Viv Cree, with Dr Gary Clapton, Dr Susan Levy and Dr Richard Ingram.
2014, Glasgow Centre for Population Health: A Review of Evidence Relating to the Impacts of Arts and Culture on Health and Wellbeing. PI: Prof Divya Jindal-Snape with Prof Thilo Kroll, Dr Jacqui Morris, Prof Dan Davies, Dr Ros Scott, Dr Susan Levy and Chris Kelly.
2013-14, Scottish Funding Council: Inclusive Music – evaluating the impact of Paragon’s Play On inclusive music programme on the lives of young people with additional support needs and their families. PI: Dr Susan Levy with Anna Robb and Prof Divya Jindal-Snape.
Susan teaches at undergraduate and postgraduate level on social work programmes and supervises doctoral students
- social policy
- critical disability studies
- health and social care integration
- social inclusion and social justice
- user involvement in social work education
- creative practice and the arts in social work
- qualitative methodologies