Education, School of Education and Social Work
+44 (0)1382 381524
Old Medical School
Sharon Tonner-Saunders is lecturer in Technologies-ICT and Music in the School of Education. She joined the University in August 2008 after working for seven years as a primary school teacher, where the last four years were spend teaching ICT to all primary pupils. During this time, Sharon was awarded the British Council's eTwinning Award for Excellence in using innovative methods to connect children with their peers around the world. This followed shortly with Sharon becoming a British Council eTwinning Ambassador where her role is to promote and train European educators how to use technologies to create collaborative projects with schools around Europe.
Sharon has developed this innovative approach to using technologies in education. This has been acknowledged at the University where she has been awarded:
- CASS Award for Professional and Public Research Graduates - Jan 2012
- DUSA Innovation in Teaching Award - May 2011
- Honorary Graduates Award for Innovative Teaching - May 2010
Sharon's innovative and forward thinking approach to using technologies has also been acknowledge by a wider community where she was awarded the prestigious titles of:
- Apple Distinguished Educator - Jan 2011
- SMART Exemplary Educator - March 2011
Sharon is also a trained Child Exploitation and Online Protection (CEOP) Ambassador, where she delivers workshops pertaining to protecting young people online.
She is also part of the PGDE management team through her role as Assessment Convener and Group Lead.
Sharon is currentlty leading a large collaborative innovative project with the British Council and schools across the world to develop young peoples intercultural awareness through the use of music and Makaton.
- 2011-2012: Postgraduate Module (Research Methods & Design) - University of Dundee
- 2009-2010: Postgraduate Certificate in Learning & Teaching in Higher Education - University of Dundee
- 2006-2007: Postgraduate Module (Progressive Enquiry & Knowledge Building Society) - University of Strathclyde
- 2005-2006: HNC ICT (Web Page Design & Internet Services) - Dundee College
- 2003-2005: Postgraduate Modules - (Computer Based Learning & Teaching, Internet Resources and Emerging Technologies) - University of Aberdeen
- 1999-2001: BEd (Hons) Primary Education - Dundee Northern College (First Class Honours Degree)