Applied French 2A (Intensive)
- Level 2
- Semester 1
- Languages - School of Humanities
- Coursework 100%
This Applied Intensive module is available for students who took the Applied Intensive module at level 1 in this language.
All language modules focus on practical communication skills and further develop grammatical competence emphasising the four skills of reading, listening, writing and speaking. You will recognise and apply competently basic lexical and grammatical structures, use a bilingual dictionary effectively and be able to read, understand and summarise the main points of basic and increasingly complex written texts and complex spoken messages in a variety of situations. You will conduct an independent investigation and project work, deepen your awareness of contemporary societies, cultures, customs and conventions and understand the wider European historical, geographical and socio-political context. You will also increase your ability to make informed cross-culture comparisons in a European context and build up cultural awareness and intercultural competence.
- Formal grammar
- Reading comprehension, advanced dictionary skills, formal letter writing
- Giving your opinion, expressing preferences, oral presentation skills
- Telephone skills
- Job interview skills
- Topic areas include education and student life, business and employment, geography and regional differences.
PF11001 - Applied French 1A (Intensive) and PF12002 - Applied French 1B (Intensive) OR equivalent
PF21003 - Applied French 2A
There are 4 compulsory language tutorial hours per week over 11 weeks.
The assessed components of this module are:
- Oral presentation (25%)
- Two written assessments (20% each)
- Oral assessment (25%)
- Grammar assessment (10%)
- Mastering French Vocabulary (2nd Edition). Wolfgang Fischer, Barron's Educational Series. ISBN: 978-0764123948
- Grammaire Progressive Du Francais, Nouvelle Edition with 600 Exercises, Maia Gregoire Odile Thievanaz. Cle International. ISBN 978-2-09-033848-5
- Le Robert et Collins poche francais-anglais, anglais-francais Dominique Le Fur. Editions Le Robert; Edition: 2014 Collection: Le Robert & Collins Poche Langue: Francais ISBN-10: 2849028533 ISBN-13: 978-2849028537
- This module aims to enable students to develop linguistic knowledge, cultural awareness and transferable communication skills, likely to be useful in both professional and personal life.
- On completion of this module, students should master the main structures of the relevant foreign language, be familiar with many key features of the relevant foreign culture, and communicate competently in the foreign language in informal and formal situations of increasing complexity.