Foundations of Law module (LW11010)
An introduction to law, legal systems, and legal study.
Foundations of Law are the fundamental principles, historical precedents, and philosophical underpinnings that shape legal systems. They include concepts like justice, equity, rights, and the rule of law. These provide the basis for creating, interpreting, and applying laws in societies.
This module will familiarise you with the concept and study of law. It will also introduce you to the Scottish, United Kingdom, European, and International legal systems.
You will develop the fundamental skills to read and understand legislation. You will also learn how to locate legal resources and interpret their significance.
What you will learn
In this module you will:
- be introduced to law as a concept
- learn about the structures of the courts system in the United Kingdom (including the European Court of Justice and the European Court of Human Rights)
- discover the importance of court decisions as a source of law
- understand how law is made by parliaments and other bodies
- consider the role of legal services in society, including the structure and regulation of the legal profession in Scotland
- learn about the importance of equality, diversity, and accessibility in the legal profession
By the end of this module, you will be able to:
- demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of different legal systems
- be able to read and understand legislation
- find various legal sources and understand their importance
- understand the importance of the key skills required for studying undergraduate law
Assignments / assessment
- portfolio (100%)
This module does not have a final exam.
Teaching methods / timetable
This module will be delivered by a combination of lectures and tutorials. Lectures will present information and provide structure to your learning.
Tutorials will allow for group work, the development of problem-solving skills, and student discussion.
Independent study is a requirement, encouraging increased participation and deeper involvement in the learning journey.
This module is available on following courses: