Marketing Management and Strategy module (BU52008)
Learn about core concepts, strategies and skills required in marketing management.
The module provides an understanding of how an organisation implements marketing strategy and pinpoints the principles of analysis, planning, and implementation for strategic marketing activities.
It will give you the tools and skills required to analyse marketing problems and make informed decisions that can enhance an organisation’s competitive advantage.
What you will learn
In this module you will:
- gain an understanding of the core concepts and skills in marketing management
- develop skills in strategic marketing planning and analysis
- analyse marketing problems and cases
- learn and to manage your own self-learning
- develop the ability to work together effectively, efficiently and cooperatively as a team member, and, when appropriate, organise, guide and motivate other team members
By the end of this module you will be able to:
- critically appraise the major concepts, theories and techniques of analysis associated with strategic marketing management
- appreciate the criticality of delivering sustainable competitive advantage to targeted market segments to ensure long-term success
- apply critical analysis to marketing problems using appropriate strategic marketing tools and methods.
- develop comprehensive strategic marketing plans based on realistic, practical, and internally consistent mixes.
- cooperate in group-based activities and apply theoretical concepts and models, with a view to providing practical market-focused solutions.
Assignments / assessment
Our assessments are designed to enhance particular marketing management skills preparing you for the role of a Marketing Consultant.
Group Strategic Marketing Plan (30%)
- includes collaboration within a diverse team to compose a Marketing Plan
Individual Marketing Strategy Business Report (70%)
- in-depth analysis and application of theoretical concepts to address a real-life Marketing problem
This module does not have a final exam.
Teaching methods / timetable
The module follows a blended learning approach. Active learning is at the core and as an active learner, you will engage with the module in various ways, including (but not limited to) interactive lectures, student-led tutorials, assigned readings and other multimedia learning materials, collaborative group work, and guided independent research.
You will often have weekly readings and/or short exercises to prepare and will be encouraged to read in advance and participate actively in the discussions.
- Marketing and the Wider Environment
- Tools for Developing Marketing Strategies
- Understanding the Customer - Consumer Behaviour
- Segmentation, Targeting and Competitive Positioning
- Marketing Mix Strategies: Product/Service & Strategic Marketing Communications
- Marketing Mix Strategies: Pricing & Distribution
- Implementation and Control of Marketing Plans
- CSR, Ethics and Brand Reputation
This module is available on following courses: