Moving in to student accommodation

Updated on 26 January 2021

What you need to know when moving into student accommodation including coronavirus quarantine procedures

On this page

If you have not already booked travel for your return to, or arrival in Dundee, then please follow the advice of the First Minister not to travel until such time as you have face-to-face teaching or an essential reason to be on campus.

Have you accepted your accommodation offer and paid your advance payment? Have we acknowledged your acceptance and payment? If not, you'll need to come to the Residences Office first.

Self-isolating on arrival

Students travelling to Scotland from some countries currently need to quarantine for two weeks. The list of countries or territories requiring people arriving to quarantine might change before you arrive.


Find out about self-isolating on arrival
Welcome to our community

This is a unique time and an opportunity to thrive despite social distancing and other restrictions. 

Our campuses have been prepared for your safe living and study but we need you to follow our rules so that everyone stays safe. You are reminded to follow all public health measures introduced to reduce the risk of Covid-19 infection.

It is the right of those over the age of 18 years of age to consume alcohol in a responsible and legal manner. During the pandemic, everyone is asked to take particular care to ensure their natural good judgement is not impaired by excessive alcohol consumption.

Please act responsibly, respect the health of yourself and others, and help ensure a safe and enjoyable experience living and studying on campus.

Key collection

Once you have booked your collection slot, you can pick up your keys from the relevant Sanctuary Students reception.

Balfour Flats, Belmont Flats, Belmont Tower

Sanctuary Students Office Heathfield
75 Old Hawkhill


Sanctuary Students Office
75 Old Hawkhill


Seabraes Reception
Seabraes Court
Dundee, DD1 4LA 
(located in the last building beside the common room at the end of the driveway).

West Park Villas, West Park Flats

West Park Villas Reception
319 Perth Road
DD2 1NN 
(located inside the front door).

Out of hours team

If you arrive outside normal office hours (Monday to Friday - 09:00 to 17:00) please phone +44 (0)7776 298 696

Sanctuary students

While the University is your landlord and looks after your rent and welfare, the day-to-day management of these residences is handled by Sanctuary Students.

Sanctuary have produced a welcome booklet for each residence. You can view these online as a PDF.

Changes to help keep you safe

Sanctuary Students have made detailed plans to help keep you safe while you stay with us. 

Find out more about their approach at the Sanctuary Students website (PDF).  

Contact Sanctuary Students

Monday to Friday - 09:00 to 17:00
+44 (0)1382 383111 or

Out of Hours Team (for urgent matters and key collection only)
 +44 (0)7776 298 696

Non-University accommodation

If you are staying with a private landlord, please contact them in advance to arrange to collect your keys. They may not be open at the weekend. Private landlords will also have their own procedures for social distancing and staying safe.

Mail and deliveries

Mail is delivered directly to your flat. Please don't send anything before you move in.

  • Belmont flats
    Flat xx, Room yy, Belmont Flats, 76 Old Hawkhill, Dundee, DD1 4HE
  • Belmont Tower
    Flat xx, Room yy, Belmont Tower, Mount Pleasant, Dundee, DD1 4HD
    Parcels for Belmont Tower are delivered to Heathfield reception
  • Heathfield
    Flat xx, Room yy, Heathfield, 75 Old Hawkhill, Dundee, DD1 5EN
  • Seabraes
    Flat xx, Room yy, Seabraes, Seabraes Court, Dundee, DD1 4LA
  • West Park Flats
    Flat xx, Room yy, West Park Flats, 319 Perth Road, Dundee, DD2 1NP
  • West Park Villas
    Flat xx, Room yy, West Park Villas, 319 Perth Road, Dundee, DD2 1NN

If you live in private accommodation your landlord will be able to let you know the postal address.

Council tax

All full-time registered students at the University of Dundee will normally qualify for exemption from council tax.

Apply for student Council Tax exemption

TV Licence

The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

  • watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
  • watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
  • download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.

This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box, or DVD/VHS recorder.

For further details please see the TV Licencing website.

Welcome to the University of Dundee

Make sure you visit our welcome web pages to view the full range of welcome guides, plus information on where you need to be and when during your first week at University

Visit Welcome web pages

Residences Office