Apply for student Council Tax exemption

Updated on 20 September 2023

You need to apply for exemption from Council Tax, this is not automatic. If all adults in your household are students you can get 100% exemption from Council Tax.

On this page

You need to apply yourself or you will be liable to pay Council Tax, this is not automatic

A property is fully exempt from Council Tax if all adult residents are full-time students. It qualifies for a 25% discount if all but one of the residents are full-time students.

Apply for Council Tax discount or exemption

If you live in University accommodation, the residences office will deal with the exemption on your behalf.

If you live in private accommodation, you need to apply for a discount via your local council website.

You'll need to visit the website for your local council and complete the form for exemption.

If you live in Dundee, Fife or Angus

If you started in September or January we share data with Dundee City, Fife and Angus councils to help reduce paperwork. This means they should be able to check your student status automatically. Make sure you update your Semester Study address with us otherwise there may be a delay in this process. You can change your address in eVision via My Contact Details.

If you started at another time of year, or if the council request it, you may need to provide evidence of your student status.

If you live in another council area

You will need to check your local council website for their forms. You will need to provide evidence of your student status.

Some councils may ask you to complete a third form, and may request the more formal proof of student status. This will take two working days to create.

When does my exemption start?

The exemption will start from the start of your course.

Graduating students

Graduating students stop being classed as students after their final exam and not on the date of their graduation.

Students who graduate and start a postgraduate course in the September of the same calendar year will have to pay Council Tax over the summer between graduating and their new course starting.

Do I qualify for exemption?

In order to qualify for the exemption, you need to be studying a programme of study that lasts for more than 24 weeks in the academic year and your tuition should amount to 21 or more hours per week.

The University of Dundee's academic year lasts for 30 weeks. A full-time student studies 120 credits in a year which equates to 1200 hours of notional student effort or 40 hours per week.

All full-time registered students at the University of Dundee will normally qualify for the exemption. Students on full-time courses who are required to repeat modules on a part-time basis can also qualify for exemption if the part-time study follows directly on from full-time study with no break in attendance.

If you are a final year student, you may only be eligible for exemption until the last day of teaching which will often be earlier than the date shown on your Student ID card or certification letter. You will become liable for council tax after this date. Please check with your local Council tax office.

Part-time students may also be eligible if they are studying more than 60 credits over the full academic year. Students studying 60 credits or less will definitely not be eligible for exemption but may be eligible for Council Tax Reduction.

Postgraduate research students who are in their writing up year can qualify for exemption from Council Tax if they are writing up over the full academic year.

If you are in any doubt whether you are liable for Council Tax or whether the property you live in may be eligible for exemption or a discount please contact your local Council Tax office.

Guide category Student support