Changing your course once you have started studying

Updated on 28 August 2023

Transferring course is probably more common than you would think. Whether a transfer is possible depends on several factors, and there’s a lot for you to consider.

On this page

It’s usually easier to arrange a transfer within the first three weeks of Semester. This is so that you don’t have too much work to catch up on and can make a successful new start. Even beyond week 3 it is always worth asking to find out if other options are available, or even to find plan ahead. If you think you want to change to a different course at Dundee, it’s best to follow the steps below to find out what your options are sooner rather than later.

Check if you can change your pathway or route

Many courses have shared modules which can allow you to easily change within your existing school. Examples of this include the undergraduate MA programme in Humanities or Social Sciences, or many of the postgraduate business courses. You will often have been asked to choose a selection of modules that gives you the opportunity to change course, particularly near the start of your degree. Speak to your Adviser of Studies first to discuss what is possible.

Find the course you want to study instead

Have you taken an additional module in another subject which you've enjoyed?

Is there something you always loved to study at school or college which you don't do anymore; or do you have an interest outside your usual studies?

Take a look at our undergraduate or postgraduate course pages to see what other course you might like to do. You might also want to speak to the Careers Service. They can give you information about the career paths open to different graduates.

Speak to staff in the School you'd like to transfer to

Is there any information they can give you about the new course, like module handbooks or information about assessments? Are they able to accept a transfer now? Will you need to repeat a year? If you aren’t sure who to contact, there are contact details on the various School webpages.

Speak to staff in your current School.

Once you know whether the new course will accept you, it's time to speak to staff in your current School to let them know you're going to transfer. It's worth speaking to your Adviser of Studies or School Office about your next steps.


If your transfer involves taking a break in your studies, this may not mean you can leave your accommodation contract.

If you are in University Residences, the Residences Team can help.

If you are in private accommodation, contact your landlord and the DUSA (Dundee University Students Association) Advice Team for guidance.

Funding and tuition fees

Changing course might affect your funding or ability to access funding for a new course. This is especially important if you will need to retake a year, or your new course is longer than your old one. 

We recommend speaking to the Student Funding Unit about your options.

NHS funding

If you are transferring from a course supported by the NHS, you must let the NHS know by calling +44 (0)300 330 1345. You also need to inform your School Office. Delays could lead to overpayments, so it's important to let them know quickly.

International students

If you are an international student, you should contact the International Advice Service for guidance.

You may also wish to contact the Immigration Compliance team to find out if your transfer affects your Student visa.

Transferring to a course at a different university

If the course you're interested in is at another University, you will need to speak to that University first, and may need to apply through UCAS.

Still not sure?

If you’re still not sure about your options or who to contact, you can speak to a member of the Student Support Team.


Student Services

Stay on Course Team

Complete our online form