Apply for University accommodation
Updated on 8 February 2021
You can apply for University Accommodation once you've firmly accepted your conditional or unconditional course offer as your first choice
1. Accept your course offer
Is Dundee your first choice?
You can apply for University Accommodation (this is normally from April onwards) once you've firmly accepted your conditional or unconditional course offer as your first choice.
Need help accepting your course offer? Contact Admissions at email@example.com
Is Dundee your second choice?
You can't apply for accommodation until you know that you'll definitely be coming to Dundee. If you've made us your second/insurance choice, then this won't be until you know your grades in August. While we can't always guarantee we'll be able to find you a room, we'll give you lots of information about all the accommodation options available.
Am I guaranteed a room?
We guarantee you one offer of University–arranged accommodation for your first year of study as long as you meet the appropriate deadline. This depends on your fee status:
- If you are a Scottish or EU Undergraduate or Postgraduate applicant: You must have Firmly accepted an offer of study at Dundee for September entry as your first choice, and applied for accommodation before 30 June 2020.
- If you are a Rest of UK or Overseas Undergraduate or Postgraduate applicant: You must have Firmly accepted an offer of study at Dundee for September entry as your first choice, and applied for accommodation before 31 August 2020.
Applications for accommodation are normally open from April onwards. We advise you to apply as soon as possible to maximise the chances of getting your preferred choice.
Missed the deadline?
Apply for accommodation even after the deadline. If we are unable to offer you accommodation, we will give you information about other options.
2. Check your email
Whether you're an Undergraduate, Postgraduate, or Exchange student, we'll email you once you've firmly accepted Dundee. You'll then be able to access our online application form and apply for a room.
You will need to make a number of choices based on the following preferences:
- the type of course you'll be studying
- room type
It's a good idea to have a look at your accommodation options before submitting your application online.
3. Apply for your room
Top tips for your application:
- Make sure that you choose your preferences in the order you want us to consider them. It might sound obvious, but your first choice on the form is the first choice we look at.
- Let us know anything you think might help us by choosing from the Flat Preferences on our form.
- Only let us know more information in the additional notes box if:
- you have any medical/disability requirements,
- you would like to be allocated the same flat as a friend who are is coming to Dundee. Please let us know by writing each other’s names in the additional notes box of your application.
Once you've submitted your application successfully you will get a confirmation email sent to both your Dundee email and the email account provided in your UCAS application. It will take us up to 15 working days to respond with an offer of accommodation or further information. Once we make an accommodation offer, you will need to accept it and make an Advanced Rental Payment to secure your booking.
We have a number of rooms and flats with special adaptations for students with disabilities. If your disability is severe, or if you believe it would affect your ability to live in our flats, please contact Disability Services to let them know. We'll then be able to research any adjustments you and any helper may require.
4. Accepting your accommodation offer
Once we’ve chosen your accommodation, we'll make you your guaranteed offer. This can take up to 15 working days as we take a lot of factors into account.
Your offer will be for one our sites – we will confirm your flat and room closer to arrival. This is so that we can make the best choice about where you should live after everyone has found out their exam results and knows they will definitely be coming to Dundee.
All offers have a reply by date. If you don't accept your offer by this date we may withdraw it and offer your to someone else. Remember that we guarantee one offer of accommodation, so if you're going to be away, or find it difficult to accept in time, please let us know. To find out more details about the accommodation you've been offered, log back on to the Online Residences Service through eVision/My Applications, and click "Summary of Applications & Offers" at the top of the page.
When you accept an offer you'll need to pay a prepayment to secure your booking. If your course offer is Conditional, and you fail to meet the conditions to come to Dundee, we'll refund any Advanced Rental Payment or Deposit payment.
Can I view the accommodation I have been offered before I move in?
Viewings of accommodation are included in our in-person Open/Visit Days. You can also see videos of all our accommodation, and virtual tours of many rooms.
What can you tell me about my flatmates?
Although we can't tell you anything about your flatmates, we will invite you to join one of our Residences Facebook groups. Once you've accepted your offer, and paid the Advanced Rental Payment, we'll send a confirmation which gives you information on how to join the group for your residence.