Advice for students with children

Updated on 7 July 2023

Combining studies with parenting responsibilities can be challenging, however the University has many ways to support all students to achieve their full potential.

On this page

There are several things you can do to make it easier to study while being a parent.

Let your adviser of studies know you are a parent. If you do have difficulties later in the academic session with commitments outside of university, they will be aware and can help you as best they can.

Some parents prefer to keep their home life separate to their studies as a form of ‘escape’. That is entirely appropriate but do talk to someone in Student Support if you need assistance or just a listening ear.

You can talk to someone from the University’s Counselling Service or Student Advisers at The Enquiry Centre in confidence. Our multi-faith Chaplains are also available for practical and spiritual support.

Bringing children onto campus 

Children are welcome in most public areas of city campus, so long as they are not causing a disturbance to other students. If you find your children are sometimes confused as to why you need to spend time studying, bringing them to campus to show them your university may help them understand. Please note that children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.

Main Library

Children are welcome in the Library when accompanied by a member. So if you are picking up / dropping off books or using the photocopiers you can bring them with you. It is responsibility to ensure that they are not causing disturbance to other users, particularly in silent/quiet areas.

Many library resources are now available online so there may be less need to come into the building than in years gone by.

DUSA The Union

Children are allowed in DUSA accompanied by a responsible adult before 21:00. The bars and cafes serve a variety of soft drinks and food, and have free wifi throughout for any devices your children may wish to use.

Breastfeeding on campus

You have a legal right to breastfeed anywhere you wish to in Scotland. 

If you wish to do so in privacy there is a room available in the basement of the Tower with comfortable seating (key available from Tower Reception), and a room in Life Sciences (ask at Discovery Centre reception).

Nappy changing facilities

There are baby changing facilities available in

  • Tower Building, ground floor disabled toilet (next to reception)
  • Chaplaincy, ground floor ladies toilet
  • Main Library, mid floor
  • Swimming pool
  • Cooper Gallery
  • Queen Mother Building G15

International families and dependants 

Information is available from the University’s International Advice Service about visas, immigration and practicalities. They are there to offer support and guidance to international students.

Childcare, schools, and nursery schools

Nurseries and Early Years Learning (2 year olds or 3-4 year olds)

The University has its own Nursery on the City Campus and provides childcare for children aged 0-5 years.

To enrol your child at a local nursery school you should contact the school directly to find out about places, and their enrolment process. International Students applications for nursery/early years places can only be submitted once you are in Scotland

Primary Schools and Secondary Schools 

International Students: applications for school places can only be submitted once you are in the UK.


There is a range of different types of childcare available depending on the child’s age – this can be homecare by a child minder, organised crèches and private or local authority nurseries. There are also after-school clubs running in some areas for primary aged children.

Funding for Childcare 

Funding from the Scottish Government:

Funding from other sources

Guide category Student support