Honorary Senior Clinical Teacher & Consultant ENT, Head and neck Lead
+44 (0)1382 660111
- MSc Clinical Trials - University of London, (commenced Sep 2013)
- FRCS (ORL&HNS) - Intercollegiate Board, 2012
- DOHNS - Royal College of Surgeons, England, 2006
- MRCS (EDIN) - Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh, 2006
- MS (ENT) - Madras Medical College, India, 2003
- Dip.N. B (ENT) - National Board of Examinations, India, 2003
- MBBS - Madras Medical College, India, 2000
Head & Neck Surgical Oncology and Robotic surgery Fellowship programme
Locum Consultant in Otorhinolaryngology 2013-2014 Freeman Hospital, Newcastle
Freeman hospital is one of the largest head and neck oncology centres in the UK, with the widest coverage area and treats 230 new head and neck oncology cases per year. This fellowship offered me focused and advanced training in head and neck cancer surgery. I have been exposed to a wide range of surgical skills including thyroid, parathyroid surgery, reconstructive microvascular surgery, laser surgery and facio maxillary surgery. This fellowship offered me unique training in trans-oral robotic surgery for head and neck cancer.
Otorhinolaryngology Specialist Registrar Training – South Yorkshire Training Programme
Basic Surgical Training - London
My sub-specialist interests are in Head and neck cancer, Thyroid surgery, salivary gland surgery and Laser surgery. I run a multidisciplinary head and neck Clinic with oncologists.
ENT UK e-learning ‘elephant’ project - head and neck section, clinical image challenge
- Best dissector award (rhinology) – 3rd Wrightington/Wigan ENT Dissection Course 26/06/2009
- Gold medal Final year, M.S ENT (2003)
- Best outgoing student and AOI PRIZE ENDOWMENT Final year, M.S ENT (2003) DR MGR Medical University, Chennai
- The Dr. P.V. CHERIAN prize MS ENT (2003) DR MGR Medical University, Chennai
- II place in ENT quiz competition- South Zone (2002) Otorhinolaryngology Association Of India
- Distinctions in Anatomy, Microbiology &Pharmacology (1994-98)
Leadership and Management Skills
Theatre reengineering project-reshaping surgical services
Scottish Government and Institute of Healthcare optimization Joint programme aiming to improve emergency and elective surgical services in Tayside, ENT representative, surgical advisory group since 2014.
Tayside robotic strategic group since 2014
Establishing the Centre for Robotic Surgery in Tayside for Training, Research and Healthcare Service Delivery for Cancer Patients. This proposal presents the case for the establishment of multispecialty, surgical healthcare robotic service for cancer patients in NHS Tayside. This reflects the joint ambition of NHS Tayside and the University of Dundee, working collaboratively under the Academic Health Science Partnership in Tayside (AHSP), to create a leading facility for robotics that will deliver a high quality and cost-effective clinical service for Tayside healthcare training and research.
Enhanced recovery programme (ERP) for ENT head and neck patients 2014 Ninewells
I recognised significant delay in the discharge of major head and neck cancer patients at Ninewells Hospital. I have designed and introduced efficient ERP which has not only reduced inpatient stay from 3 weeks to 1 week but also reduced inpatient infection. I have achieved this with my communication and team working skills. This task was achieved with co ordinate care from pre-anaesthetic team, SALT, nutritionist and ward nurses. Over 6 month period it has saved 48000£ to NHS Tayside.
Trans oral Tayside laser surgery service (TOTALS) for laryngeal cancer
It is new service development programme. I have introduced this programme to treat early laryngeal cancer as day case procedures with Laser Instead of 4 to 6 weeks of radiotherapy. It is cost effective in terms of finance and human resources and also decreases patient morbidity. Workforce planning, teaching and training was challenging task for me in this new service. 2014- 2015 Laser audit showed financial gain of £84,980.
Optimum care delivery system (OCDS) for ENT Head and neck post op patients 2015 Ninewells
I have introduced OCDS for medically challenging major head and neck cancer post op patients. This process was designed to use high dependency units effectively. This was achieved with slow learning/teaching process. This has increased our ward efficiency and productivity. Patient safety was considered as primary goal.
I am the founder and course organiser of this biannual course. My role is supervising event management, workforce planning, resource management, team meeting, and feedback assessment, coordinating national and international faculties (n16) and delegates (n 22). Please see website for further information. It generates 500£ profit approximately per course.
I am the co-founder & course organiser of this annual course in collaboration with Cuschieri skills centre. My role is event management and coordinating team meeting.
Quick track system, 2013
I recognised significant delays (6 weeks) in the despatch of discharge summaries at the Royal Hallamshire hospital and introduced a new, efficient process through service improvement project. I held a storming session with ward sisters, departmental managers, senior house officers and registrars to identify points of delay. I designed a new ‘quick track’ system. I liaised with IT department to install digital dictation devices in wards. I delegated work to teams, monitoring to registrars; any gaps were identified and immediately rectified. The discharge summary now reaches GP by end of one week. The Clinical director hugely appreciated this since the department benefitted through positive feedback from patients and general practitioners alike.
Organizer of Trent regional registrars teaching days
- 28/09/2012 Topic – Audiology & medico legal
- 15/07/2011Topics- Dysphagia, swallowing disorders, pharyngeal pouch, Embryology (pharyngeal arches), fistulas, cleft lip & palate Deep neck abscess 20/11/09 Regional registrars teaching day
My role required exceptional organisational skills to book venues, allot topics, inviting speakers and getting sponsorship.
Organizing committee member
- Sheffield temporal bone course 2011
- Coordinator for weekly Junior doctors teaching, Doncaster Royal Infirmary
- DOHNS course May 2006 and March 2007Whipps Cross University Hospital
- GP ENT course Sep2006Whipps Cross University Hospital
- First National workshop On Brachial Plexus Surgery (Brachial Plexus Surgery Group of India, Jan 2004)
- Executive Coordinator for weekly grand rounds, journal club, duty on call rotes(2003)
- General Secretary of Madras medical college men's hostel 1999-2000
- Conducted many service camps as captain of National Service Scheme like AIDS awareness & blood donation camps (1999)
- Member of a medical exhibition under the rotaract club(1998)
I underwent formal training in creation of websites and I devised and maintain following websites
I am responsible for the live webcasting of this course worldwide.(http://www.entmasterclass.com/webcast.htm)
Cyber text book
I assisted in producing a cyber-textbook of Operative ENT through which 150 surgical videos can be accessed.(http://www.entmasterclass.com/cybertextbook.htm). I am a editor for 2nd edition June 2013.
I acquired a web video editing skill, which helped me to write a chapter in the atlas book: Atlas of Operative Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery. It contains 6 surgical videos for e-book and 220 pictures. By using many video editing software solutions, I cropped all images to show the surgical steps.
Travel, gardening and decorating
- British Medical Association
- Scottish Otolaryngological Society
- British Association Endocrine and Thyroid surgeon