University of Dundee Museums online resources
Virtual tours and other online resources to help you explore our collections and other activities online.
Our free digital guide on Bloomberg Connects can be used on-site or at home to explore our collections, discover highlights and hear from museum staff.
3D Virtual Displays
We've teamed up with View Virtually to create these 3D recreations of our main displays:
We're using Art UK's Curations platform to show some mini art exhibitions:
- Joseph Lee - War Poet & Artist
- David Foggie - The Painters' Painter
- The Dundee Art Collectors
- Alan Robb and the Dundee Imagists
- A Sketch of the Universe - the Artistic Influence of D'Arcy Thompson
- The Body
- Women at Work: Highlighting Female Artists in the University of Dundee Museum Collections
- Dundee - Picturing the City
We also worked with the BBC as part of their Art That Made Us Festival to create this webpage: Moira Macgregor: Dundee's Fashion Pioneer
You can download the posters from our Dundee Women's Festival 2021 exhibition Dundee's Wonder Women of Science.
Our YouTube channel is full of interesting videos. We have a number of recordings of live events including exhibition tours and special guest talks.
Curator Matthew Jarron made a series of Curator’s Chat Videos during the 2020 lockdown showcasing some of the highlights of our collections.
Artists' Video Online
During the 1980s and 1990s Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art invested in state-of-the-art video technology and became renowned for its pioneering courses in Electronic Imaging and Time-Based Art. We have been adding a selection of students' video works to our collection, and you can watch some highlights free on our YouTube and Vimeo account.
The University also holds the REWIND collection of Artists' Video in the 70s and 80s
Public Art Tours
During 2020 Museum Curator Matthew Jarron recreated his series of Public Art & Design walking tours virtually using Google Streetview.
Designed by DJCAD graduated James Gemmill, the Public Art Dundee Cycle Trail is based on the Dundee Green Circular Cycle Route with various deviations to take in more pieces of public art. Physical copies can be picked up from Dundee Cycle Hub at the waterfront, as well as direct from us.
Dundee Discoveries Walking Tours
As part of Dundee Science Festival 2020, we teamed up with the School of Life Sciences and colleagues across the University to create a Dundee Discoveries map featuring three self-guided walking tours around Dundee of medical and life science past and present. illustrated by DJCAD graduate James Gemmill. The project was undertaken thanks to support from the Wellcome Institutional Strategic Support Fund awarded to the University of Dundee.
Breaking the Chains Walking Trail
Breaking the Chains is a self-guided walking trail of the city centre, exploring Dundee's connections to slavery and anti-slavery.
The trail is the result of a collaboration between the University of Dundee Museums and the city libraries in Leisure & Culture Dundee, with funding and additional support from Dundee City Council. The illustrated map was designed by Dolina Mechan (a DJCAD Graphic Design alumna). Physical copies are available from city libraries and in the Tower Building.
High quality images of a large part of our art collection can be seen on the Art UK website - all of our oil paintings as well as most of our sculpture and a growing selection of drawings, watercolours, prints and more.
- University of Dundee Fine Art Collections
- Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art & Design Collection
- Tayside Medical History Museum Art Collection
D'Arcy Thompson Zoology Museum in 3D
If you're not able to visit our Zoology Museum in person, you can still see our Nature of Empire display through this virtual 3D tour:
Here's an earlier 3D capture of the museum:
And staff and students from the Medical Art MSc course have made amazing 3D scans of many of our specimens - if you've a 3D printer at home you can print them out and create your own mini museum!
Blogs, Talks and Online Publications
We regularly contribute to the fantastic blog, University Culture Online which celebrates all the amazing cultural activity and resources being created by the University of Dundee’s staff and students.
Here is a selection of externally hosted blogs, articles and talks by our curator and other related items:
- Genetics Unzipped podcast about D'Arcy Thompson
- Public Sculpture in Dundee
- Henry Harwood and the Artist's Profession in 19th century Dundee
- On Growth and Form at 100
- D'Arcy Thompson's Artistic Connections
- Pecha Kucha Talk on 10 Dundee Designers
- A Tale of Two Penguins
- Slade Contemporary Art Lecture on D'Arcy Thompson (starts 25 mins in)
- A Visual Portrait of D'Arcy Thompson by Will Maclean
- Suzanne Scott on D'Arcy Thompson's Discovery Walk plaque
- Ellis O'Connor feature on BBC Scotland
- Way Back When - online publication by Walter Simms
- Art Unlocked: University of Dundee Museums - YouTube
- University of Dundee Discovery Research Portal
Every year we put together annual reports about our activities, so you can find out what we've been getting up to!