Introducing Biology to Physicists
The aim of the course is provide an overview of fundamental areas of biology for students with little biology background, emphasizing evolution, connections between length and time scales in biology, and the potential role of physics to inform biology at all of these different scales.
- What is life? Darwin’s theory of evolution, Mendelian genetics, tree of life, basics of prokaryotic cells, basics of eukaryotic cells.
- Structure and functions of proteins, structure of DNA, DNA replication, transcription, translation.
- Protein folding, membrane structure, membrane transport.
- Metabolism and mitochondria, cytoskeleton, cell cycle, germ cells, fertilisation, development.
- Introduction to ecology, population genetics and evolution.