Business and Human Rights module (LW51128)
You will explore legal standards for businesses to uphold Human Rights. You will also investigate the challenges of implementation and real-world effects
This module explores the global impact of business activities on Human Rights. This covers issues like modern slavery, environmental pollution, and privacy infringements. It examines evolving laws and corporate practices related to Human Rights. This will encourage a deep understanding of the key debates and challenges.
A range of new laws and policies are being adopted by governments to regulate Human Rights. Some businesses are also integrating Human Rights into their corporate practices.
In this module you will:
- learn about issues such as modern slavery and other abusive labour practices
- discover how environmental pollution, land grabs, invasions of privacy and business contributes to climate change
- study new laws and policies adopted by governments to regulate negative corporate Human Rights impacts
- explore the historical and political contexts of business and Human Rights
- investigate legal remedies for Human Rights abuses related to business
By the end of this module, you will be able to:
- understand the impact of business activities on Human Rights globally
- recommend approaches and strategies for businesses to enhance their commitment to upholding Human Rights
- understand and implement corporate Human Rights impact assessment
- demonstrate skill in evaluating legal remedies for business-related Human Rights abuses
- analyse business involvement in issues such as modern slavery and sustainable investment
Assignments / assessment
- Written assignment - 4,000 words (100%)
This module does not have a final exam.
Teaching methods / timetable
- independent study
This module will be delivered by student-led seminars, based on prior reading, allowing a high level of engagement.
You will also receive feedback on your understanding and performance through participation in class discussions.
This module is available on following courses: