English Law of Property module (LW32028)
Learn about English property law. You will also learn about its history, conceptual foundations, and key concepts
English property law (or Real Property Law) has shaped the history of England and the UK. It has also had a profound impact on the common-law world. This encompasses all the Commonwealth's former British colonies. English property law tells us about the history of England. It also opens up key theoretical debates in Western thought.
This module will introduce you to significant theoretical debates about the nature of property such as:
You will discover that in English property law, possession is as important as ownership. Sometimes it is more important. You will also learn about the importance of trusts in English property law. This is used as a mechanism that separates ownership and possession.
What you will learn
In this module, you will:
- learn about the legal principles, legislation, and case law which apply to land as a marketable commodity and as a place where people live
- learn how property law relates to other legal subjects, such as contracts, torts, equity and trusts, and human rights
- understand the systems of registered and unregistered land in England and Wales
- learn about the history and theoretical foundations of English property law
By the end of this module, you will be able to:
- identify key issues from factual situations. You will then be able to address those issues using the relevant legislation and case law
- present well-reasoned and well-supported oral and written legal arguments
- find, use, and interpret various materials including academic commentary
- discern the conceptual foundations of English property law
Assignments / assessment
- Mid-term coursework (25% )
- Remote online exam (75%)
Teaching methods / timetable
The module will be delivered through lectures, independent study, and tutorials.
This module is available at Levels 3 and 4. You are only able to take one version of this module. Your adviser of studies will help you choose.
This module is available on following courses: