Professional Accountancy Project module (BU53002)
Through the professional accountancy project you will undertake an individual research project on a relevant topic in professional accountancy.
This professional accountancy project is a core component of the MSc in Professional Accountancy programme.
The project involves an extended literature review, on an issue affecting professional accountancy policy or practice, which may include relevant academic literature, professional accountancy pronouncements, professional publications, the financial press and other relevant sources.
You will be expected to work intensively and independently on a literature-based project, meeting deadlines and producing a coherent final report which is fit for professional publication. The project will also allow you to demonstrate your ability to plan, organise, research and present your findings in writing.
By completing this module you will gain a deep understanding of your selected accountancy topic.
What You Will Learn
In this module you will:
- design a literature-based project and discriminate between material that is central to your selected topic and that which is auxiliary
- read and understand articles in leading accounting and/ or finance journals, and publications from professional and standard setting bodies
- critically evaluate research, current issues or developments in accounting & finance, while synthesising information from a number of sources in order to gain a coherent understanding of the theory and practice of accounting & finance
- apply theory to real-world problems faced by accountants, policy-makers, financial institutions and/ or investors and understand the difficulties involved in applying academic theories to real-world accounting & finance
- manage your time effectively, meet deadlines, and communicate orally and in writing in a clear and concise manner
- listen actively in meetings with supervisors and incorporate relevant information and develop balanced arguments
- demonstrate the generic skills to produce a coherent written report that is fit for a professional audience
By the end of this module, you will be able to:
- design a literature-based project
- access and evaluate relevant materials
- undertake a literature review
- demonstrate analysis of a problem
- make judgement and propose recommendations on ethical and professional issues in the context of current global accountancy profession and practice
- demonstrate generic skills to produce a coherent written report suitable for a professional audience
Assignments / assessment
Project Report (100%)
- 6,000 words
This module does not have a final exam
Teaching methods / timetable
You will have two 1 hour long introductory lectures, followed by a number supervisory meetings during the semester.
This module is available on following courses: