Step Up to Business module (BU11005)
Develop your academic skills to study Business Management at university, whether or not you have the studied the subject before of have prior work experience.
STEP UP (Student Transitions and Enhancement Programme to University Progress) to Business will help you develop your confidence and academic study skills to support you through your entire degree.
You will also learn how to reflect, both about your decision to come to university and your options after graduating.
What you will learn
In this module, you will:
- develop your skills in researching, reading, academic writing, and presenting, both individually and through group work
- learn to read for academic purposes, referencing and citation, presentation skills
- build your confidence in an academic environment
By the end of this module, you will be able to:
- work in a group environment, enhancing your interpersonal skills
- share your reflections and understand how this can help you throughout your career
- share your academic opinion and the ability to write to appeal to a wider audience
- understanding your online profile and personal brand
Assignments / assessment
Individual Essay (40%)
- 1,000 words
- due in the first part of the module
Group video and poster (30%)
- 6 minute video
- academic poster
- due part-way through the module
Individual Reflective output (30%)
- due at the end of the module
This module does not have a final exam.
Teaching methods / timetable
Each week you will have an extended lecture, including collaboration with others, reflective activities, guided readings, and student-led presentations. Students will present their ideas, knowledge and understanding to the rest of the class. There will also be guest speakers with colleagues from across the university.
There are 11 weeks of teaching. For this module, the exact dates of teaching and/or reading weeks are to be confirmed.
This module is available on following courses: