If you are being sponsored to study full-time on a student visa, it is important you understand your responsibilities.
You will need to ensure you comply with the conditions attached to your visa and co-operate with the University in fulfilling its sponsor duties. These apply if you are studying on Student visa, or an older Tier 4 visa.
The term Student visa on these pages refers to immigration permission issued under both the Student and Tier 4 visa routes. Tier 4 was replaced by the Student visa on 5 October 2020.
Student visa guides
Our guides explain the requirements of studying on a Student visa with us here at Dundee and provides information on protecting your immigration status in the UK.
As your visa sponsor, the University is required to act in accordance with Home Office policy. At Dundee, the Immigration Compliance Team is responsible for overseeing institutional compliance with student immigration legislation.
We are required to:
- Hold a copy of your current passport and up to date immigration documents.
- Keep up-to-date UK contact details including both address and telephone number.
- Inform the Home Office if you do not arrive as expected.
- Monitor your engagement with your studies.
- Notify the Home Office if there is a change of circumstances with your studies, for example if you change course, intermit, stop studying prior to completion or you complete earlier than the course end date given in your CAS.
- Inform the Home Office if we believe you are breaching the conditions of your leave (e.g. working over the permitted allowance).
Student visa conditions
Students must abide by the conditions attached to their visa, which include:
- Working restrictions.
- No access to state benefits: This means you cannot draw on some state benefits.
- Registering with the police if required.
- Notifying the Home Office of changes in your circumstances.
- Notifying the Home Office if you change your address.
If you have any concerns or questions regarding your immigration status please get in contact with us as soon as possible so we can support you in keeping your immigration status safe.
Enquiry Centre, Campus Green
+44 (0)1382 386750