Private rented accommodation for continuing students

Updated on 22 April 2024

Priority for University accommodation is given to entrant students. Most continuing students move in to private rented accommodation after their first year, as space is usually not available in University accommodation.

On this page

Renting privately 

DUSA | The Union has prepared guides and advice on matters related to private accommodation and housing matters. This includes: 

  • explaining your rights and responsibilities as a tenant 
  • advice on your landlord’s rights and responsibilities 
  • help with inventory and deposits 
  • advice on repair issues 

Visit the DUSA housing advice webpage.

Before you leave home 

We are aware that some students are currently having difficulty in finding accommodation close to the University. We recommend that you do as much research as possible before you leave home, and ensure that you have arranged accommodation before you arrive in Dundee. 

If you are hoping to share a private house or flat with other students, vacancies are advertised on the DUSA Housing Facebook page.  

Limited availability of private accommodation in Dundee City Centre 

While most of our students prefer to live very close to the University, Dundee is a compact city with a very reliable and affordable public transport network. If you have not already done so, we would encourage you to widen your search to consider private accommodation outside the city centre. There are regular buses from all parts of Dundee to the city centre, many of which pass close by the University’s city campus. 

Failing that, you can search Angus, Perth, and Fife, all within 20 miles of Dundee, and accessible by bus. There are maps and timetables available from Xplore Dundee or Stagecoach East Scotland

Temporary accommodation 

If you prefer to wait until you arrive in Dundee before signing up to a rental property, make sure you have temporary accommodation booked for when you arrive. There are plenty of hotels and small bed and breakfasts close to the University campus. You can find more information on the Visit Scotland webpages

Other options 

There may the opportunity to book a room to stay as a lodger in local homes for a short period of time. If lodgings are available they will be advertised on SpareRoom for flatshare, house share, and rooms for rent

Finding property to rent 

There are many websites advertising property for rent, and it is recommended that only accredited landlords or reputable letting agencies are used. Ensure you can view the property and read the contract very carefully before you sign it. For advice contact Housing Advice - DUSA or

Recent scam

Students have been asked to pay 12 months' rent in advance. This is illegal, please do not agree. 

Find a referee and pay a deposit 

Ideally you should provide a UK-based referee. If you have stayed in University residences, you can request a reference from the Residences office. If you stayed in private accommodation, contact your previous landlord. 

If you don't have a UK referee, you might be asked to pay up to two months' rent as a deposit instead of the usual one. You cannot be asked to pay a deposit which is greater than two months' rent. 

Find a guarantor 

A guarantor is a third party who agrees to take on liabilities arising from someone else’s tenancy. This means that they guarantee rent payments and other tenancy obligations, for example, landlord losses, expenses, or damages. 

A guarantor is not a legal requirement, but there is nothing to stop landlords or letting agents from insisting on one. Some landlords will insist any guarantor be UK based. If you are unable to provide a guarantor acceptable to the landlord, you will need to consider another landlord. Some landlords will take rent in advance in place of the guarantor. The maximum allowable for this is six months in a Private Residential Tenancy. 

If you are unable to provide a UK-based guarantor you may be able to apply for the University to act as a guarantor, subject to eligibility requirements.

Further source of help 

For general accommodation queries, contact



Guide category Student accommodation