Apply for Graduate visa

Updated on 9 March 2023

A Graduate visa gives you permission to stay in the UK for at least 2 years after successfully completing a course in the UK.

On this page

The Graduate Visa launched on 1 July 2021.

This is for international students who want to work following the successful completion of a course of study at UK bachelor’s degree-level or above.


  • You must have a valid student visa when you make the application.
  • You must be in the UK when you apply.
  •  You must have successfully completed your Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD. The University’s Immigration Compliance Team will report successful completion of your course to the UKVI only when all your work has been graded and your degree has been confirmed by senate, this includes submission of final thesis corrections . You can find the senate’s convening dates on our Academic Calendar. Please do not make the application until you have received an email from to confirm they have notified the UKVI of final completion of your course. Please be patient during this time.
  • You must have your most recent CAS number.
  • If you have a financial sponsor for your studies in the UK and they cover both your tuition fees and living expenses, you may be asked to provide written consent from your financial sponsor stating that they do not object to your Graduate Route application.
  • If you are currently studying remotely at home, you must have a valid student visa to return to your course and be present in the UK by 30th June 2022 to be eligible to apply. If you have returned home because you have completed your course and your student visa has expired, you will not be able to apply for the Graduate Route

How and when to apply

  • Applications can be made on the UK Government website
  • You will not be required to show evidence of financial maintenance.

Fees and costs

  • The application itself will cost £700.
  • You must also pay the Immigration Health Surcharge with your application. The IHS fee is £624 per year.


  • Applicants who are already student dependant visa holders in the UK can apply.
  • If your dependants are outside the UK they are not eligible to apply as dependants of the Graduate visa.
  • Infants born in the UK to Student visa or Tier 4 visa holders are eligible to apply.

Approved travel outside the UK

  • Approved absences such as undergraduate travel during university holidays or approved absences for postgraduate students will not prevent eligibility for the Graduate route

Graduate visa conditions

  • Bachelor’s and Master’s applicants are eligible for a 2 year Graduate visa.
  • PhD applicants are eligible for a 3 year Graduate visa.
  • You can work or seek work at any level. You may also be self-employed.
  • This visa can’t be extended, but you can later switch to a sponsored working visa such as Skilled Worker, Global Talent or Innovator Routes.
  • Permission under the Graduate visa does not in itself lead to settlement, except as part of the Long Residence provision.

Post study work