Apply for a Standard Visitor visa for short courses or Graduation
Updated on 8 April 2021
For certain short courses you may need a Standard Visitor Visa, you should also apply for one if your Student visa / Tier 4 visa has expired before your Graduation ceremony
This route replaces the short term study visa.
You can come to the UK as a Standard Visitor for up to 6 months to do a short course of study, complete your studies, to take part in research or an exchange programmes or for certain activities including attending viva or meeting with your supervisor, or for a short placement if you are studying medicine or dentistry.
You cannot remain after 6 months, switch in to another visa category in the UK or engage in employment.
If your Student visa expires before Graduation
If your Tier 4 or Student visa expires before you graduate, you can apply for a Standard Visitor visa which is only obtainable from outside the UK.
When your course finishes you should travel outside the UK to apply to return on a visitor visa. We do not advise that you overstay your leave in the UK at any time.
When to apply
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel.
Supporting documents you will need
You must provide certified translations of any documents that are not in English or Welsh. You’ll be told what other documents and information to provide when you apply online.
You’ll need to provide the following information:
- your passport or travel document. Your passport should be valid for the whole of your stay in the UK and contain a blank page for your visa.
- the dates you’re planning to travel to the UK
- details of where you’ll be staying during your visit
- how much you think your trip will cost
- your current home address and how long you’ve lived there
- your parents’ names and dates of birth (if known)
- how much you earn in a year (if you have an income)
- details of any criminal, civil or immigration offences you may have committed
For further details please see UKVI Guide to supporting documents and follow their guidance for your application.
You will need to complete the following tasks from the University of Dundee:
- Graduation Registration - It is your responsibility to complete the registration process. You must register by logging into eVision and completing the graduation registration task. If you or your guests require disability access, you should check the Graduation web pages for the assistance request form.
- Request a student status letter from our Registry team. You should complete the form to request an original letter confirming your student status for family/friends visit visa purposes. Registry will email you when your letter is ready.
Apply for your Visitor visa
You can apply at any British Embassy outside the UK which gives you permission to enter.
You need to complete the Standard Visitor visa form. Dependants who require a Standard Visitor visa should use the same form.
Visas for friends or family attending your graduation
Email and eVision access
All students who are eligible to graduate have access to eVision and their @dundee.ac.uk email until the day of their graduation ceremony. You will be contacted through your Dundee email address so please check it regularly.
If you experience problems accessing your email or eVision accounts, contact UOD IT.
If you are not in your final year and wish to graduate with a non-honours award, you must ensure that you have informed your School office who will in turn inform the Registry to enable you to register and graduate this session. If you feel that you should have the link in your eVision account, but cannot see this, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
International Advice Service
+44 (0)1382 385676