Apply for a Standard Visitor visa for family or friends to visit

Updated on 30 August 2023

Learn how your family and friends can apply for visas to come and visit you in the UK, and what documentation you will need to provide for them

On this page

If you wish to invite a relative or friend to come and visit you in the UK, and they need a visa, they will need to apply for a visitor’s visa at their local British Embassy or High Commission.

Applying for a Standard Visitor visa

Visitors will need to complete a Standard Visitor visa form on

The website contains a list of the documentation that your visitors will need to bring. There are several items that you need to provide:

  • proof of student status letter at Dundee
  • a letter of invitation from you
  • a copy of your passport and visa, ID Card for Foreign Nationals (ICFN), or Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)
  • if applicable, evidence of accommodation to support the visit

Proof of your student status at Dundee

The only formal document you normally need from the University is recent proof of your student status, from the University Registry. The University cannot provide you with an invitation letter.

  • You should send your request by completing an online form for an original letter confirming your student status for family/friends visit visa purposes. Please allow two working days for the completion of your letter. Registry will email you when your letter is ready.
  • If your visitor is coming to the UK to attend your graduation, please email to receive a letter.

Invitation letter

Download and fill in the template for your invitation letter.

Send it together with proof of enrolment to your friend or relative so they can include them with their visa application. Do not send it directly to the Embassy.


International Advice Service

+44 (0)1382 385676