Recording use of University space and property to ensure space is used effectively and efficiently.
Space Management is responsible for the following activities:
- Leading in space design briefs to support the strategic planning of campus across RIBA stages 0-3
- Provide the University with reports to aid strategic and operational requirements
- Maintain building drawings and records of space information
- Oversee requests of Schools/ Directorates to change the function, layout or location of space to support operational requirements
- Manage the collection of space related data required to report to the High Educational Statistics Agency
- Coordinate the requirements for space moves including people, furniture and equipment
- Manage the space occupancy monitoring system
- Principle point of contact regarding leases, property acquisitions and disposals
- Manage internal and external signage design standards
An audit on space is completed annually and is completed by the nominated space reps within each School and Directorate. This return is crucial to mapping and understanding the University space usage.
This reporting is used to submit reports for EMR (Estates Management Reporting) and TRAC (Transparent Approach to Costing).
Space Management aims to support learning, teaching and research activities and ensure the provision of the best possible ‘fit for purpose’ accommodation to enable the University to meet its strategic objectives in an effective and efficient way. The following Space Management Policy outlines a collection of good practice principles for space management to be adopted by the Space Management Group and wider University.