Criminal Conviction Data Privacy Notice
Updated on 29 April 2020
The University of Dundee may, in certain circumstances, process data concerning the criminal convictions of applicants for student, applicants for employment or concerning its students and staff
How we use your information
The University normally processes this information when:
- assessing the suitability of individuals for specific programmes of study or employment roles
- conducting necessary checks, such as those required for the Protection of Vulnerable Groups, as required
- managing the registration requirements for professional programmes
- undertaking disciplinary or other similar formal processes
- making disclosures to competent authorities
- conducting historical, scientific or statistical research or for archiving purposes
- considering and implementing measures required to maintain a safe and secure environment.
The data controller for this information is the University of Dundee initially. Your information will be held in the University’s systems. For more information on the systems used at the University please see the university website. Your information will be retained according the requirements of the process for which it was used. Information on University processes is also available online.
The University asserts that it is lawful for it to process criminal conviction data, further to the provisions of Schedule 1 of the Data Protection Act 2018. In particular where processing is necessary for:
- the purposes of performing or exercising obligations or rights which are imposed or conferred... in connection with employment, social security or social protection
- health or social care purposes (including occupational medicine)
- archiving purposes, scientific or historical or statistical research purposes in the public interest
- purposes in the substantial public interest (including the exercise of functions conferred by an enactment or the rule of law, the prevention or detection of unlawful acts, protecting the public against dishonesty, or processes concerning legal claims)
The University respects your rights and preferences in relation to your data. If you wish to update, access, erase, limit or complain about the use of your information, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Once your information has been passed to other universities you should engage with them directly concerning your information. You may also wish to contact the Information Commissioner’s Office.