Main Library refurbishment
Published on 9 May 2023
Building works are underway and area 2B will open in November 2023.
The university is investing in refurbishment works in the Main Library. The project has been running since November 2022 to gather requirements via survey and consultations. Planning and design is now complete and we are excited to share plans on the improvements coming to the Main Library in 2023.
- Refreshed décor, improving silent study area
- Hot and cold water kitchen facilities
- Willock room upgraded to provide new audio/video (AV) equipment, and improved noise insulation
- Low sensory break room
- 28 individual semi-enclosed study booths
- Area to remain as silent study with use of features in the build to help reduce noise travel
Across the Main Library
- Additional gender-neutral toilets now open and available for use in areas 1A and 2A
- Enhanced PC provision with dual monitors added to 20 existing PCs
- High specification PCs with dual monitors
- Additional solo study pods
Arrangements in place during building work
As we work to bring improvements, the top floor (area 2B) will be closed and there may be additional noise and disruption in other areas of the building.
We have put in place measures to reduce the impact as much as possible and will continue to monitor throughout.
Books and resources
- Click and collect service available for high priority books from the top floor collections
- If you are returning next year, as long as no one requests them, loans will be automatically renewed
- Find out more about our range of online resources
Study space and PCs
- We will direct you to additional study space within the building and on campus
- Laptops available from the InfoZone
- Need a bigger screen? Connect a laptop to our monitor docks located on the ground floor
- Wolfson 3 on the ground floor of Main Library is now available as silent study
Our SafePod is closed for the duration of refurbishment work, please contact us if you have a summer research project which requires use of a SafePod and we can provide information on alternatives.
Images are for illustration purposes only and are subject to change.
Keep up to date with the latest refurbishment news on the Library Services Blog.