PiCLS Symposium 2019
Published on 21 October 2019
The annual PiCLS Symposium 2019 took place last week at West Park Conference Centre.
The event involved fabulous talks given by guest speakers, Wendy Bickmore, Helmut Grubmuller, Donita Brady, Benjamin Parcell and Hao Wu, interspersed with flash talks and poster sessions given by members of the postgraduate community in the School.
Flash talks winners
- 1st Prize: Jordana Freemantle (CSI/Grahame Hardie Lab) Talk title: Glucose sensing by AMPK
- 2st Prize: Anna Segarra Fas (MRC PPU/Greg Findlay Lab) Talk title: Understanding RNF12 function in a human developmental disorder
- 3rd Prize: Luciana de Sousa Paradela (BCDD/ Susan Wyllie Lab) Talk title: Drug target deconvolution studies in Leishmania donovani
Poster session winners
- 1st Prize: Alexia Kalogeropulou (MRC PPU/Dario Alessi Lab) Poster title: Rab29 activation of LRRK2: an artefact of transient overexpression
- 2st Prize: Jennifer Shoesmith (Plant Sciences/ Sarah McKim Lab) Poster title: HvAPETALA2 controls outer whorl identity in barley
- 3rd Prize: Olivia James (MRC PPU/ Mahima Swamy lab) Poster title: Investigating the inflammatory effects of IL-5 on intestinal intraepithelial lymphocytes (IEL)
The PiCLS Symposium committee would also like to take this occasion to thank the many parties that were involved in the event. This includes:
- the guest speaks gave excellent presentations but also judged the PhD flash talks
- all flash talks and poster presenters
- an attentive audience which comprised of PhD students, post-docs and PIs
- Poster session judges (Robin Pflughaupt (MRC-PPU), Natalie Bamford (MMB), Diana Gudynaite (MMB), Giulia Saredi (MRC-PPU), Kasper Rassmusen (GRE), Pawan Singh (MRC-PPU), Sowmya Ajay Castro (MMB), Fabio Tamaki (DDU), Christina Rollings (CSI)
- Event Sponsors: Biochemical Society, The Company of Biologists, FEBS, Graduate Women Scotland, Microbiology Society, Scottish Universities Life Sciences Alliance (SULSA)
- Lesley Coats for her tremendous patience and organisation
- Letty Gibson for her guidance during our fundraising
- Amy Cameron for setting up the symposium website
- Carol MacKintosh and SLS for providing us with an opportunity to organise the symposium
- Estate and Buildings for provision of the poster boards and prizes
PiCLS Organisation Committee: Johanna Ainsworth, Marcus Bage, Claire Gorby, Mateusz Gregorczyk, Elena Purlyte and Azul Zorzoli.