Celebrating Success as in-person graduation returns
Published on 29 June 2022
Over the past two weeks, the University of Dundee has been celebrating graduation. Last week, the graduands from 2022 crossed the stage at the Caird Hall to receive their degrees.
This week we have welcomed back the classes of 2020 and 2021 who missed out on an in-person event due to the covid pandemic. Alongside the University led events of the graduation ceremony, garden party and ball, the School hosted a Graduation Reception in the Street area for the graduates, friends, family and staff.
During the reception, awards were presented by the Dean of School, Professor Julian Blow.
School prizes were awarded to:
- Catherine Arnton - Biological Sciences Honours Stream Prize and D'Arcy Thompson Commemorative Medal
- Dana Cheung - Molecular Biology Honours Prize
- Alexandra Harris - Biological Chemistry Honours Prize, Evelyn Gow Research Fund and Patrick Ritchie Prize
- Carrie Hoggan - Pharmacology Honours Prize
- Shravya Murali - Open Bursary
- Louise-Kristine Nielsen - Biomedical Sciences Honours Stream Prize, Neurosciences Honours Prize and Sir James Black Award for Outstanding Achievement
- Julia Waszak - Stephen Williamson Bursary
Honours Symposium 2021/22 prizes winners were also publicly congratulated as the symposium and prize giving events had previously been held online due to restrictions.
Staff were also recognised with outgoing School President Nicole Coutinho Garrido announcing the winners of the BBSE Learning & Teaching Student Nominated Awards:
- Marios Stavridis – Gold Prize
- Graham Christie – Silver Prize
- Ros Langston and Adrian Saurin – Bronze Prize
The annual BBSE Learning & Teaching Symposium Award Winners were presented with their prize certificates:
- Melissa D’Ascenzio - Gold
- Christina Schilde and Kevin Hiom – both Silver
- Emma Duke-Williams – Bronze from a Life Sciences student instigated project, a research integrity escape room
Marios Stavridis presented Arlene Stewart, Head of Administration in the D’Arcy Thompson Unit, with a bouquet of flowers in recognition of all her unseen work, especially over the past few years.