Forensic Dentistry MSc
Develop your forensic odontology skills through case studies
Forensic dentistry deals with the examination, handling, and presentation of dental evidence for the legal system.
You will develop your knowledge, experience and skills in forensic dentistry, and in aspects of forensic medicine, law and research.
You will study:
- dental identification and profiling including sessions on death and cognitive bias with a psychologist
- disaster victim identification
- age estimation from dental sources
- dental report writing and giving evidence
- limitations of bite mark identification
Practical sessions include:
- dental autopsy instructions using the Thiel cadavers (facility offered by the Centre for Anatomy and Human Identification (CAHID))
- image acquisition with portable X-ray unit
- interpretation of ante-mortem and post-mortem dental data
- a mock trial and first-hand experience and training with PlassData software for disaster victim identification
Studying alongside students in forensic medicine and law means you will gain an understanding of the role of other forensic disciplines and identify when, where, and how forensic dentistry links with the wider forensic community.
If you have any questions about the admissions process, studying, or living in Dundee, please contact us