Data Science & Engineering MSc
Develop your data engineering and data science knowledge and understanding whilst learning to store, manage, and analyse large sets of data
Data engineering and data science are two closely-related fields. Yet they have two distinct roles and responsibilities:
- Data engineering is the process of collecting, storing, processing, and analysing data. Data engineers build and maintain the systems that make data accessible and useful for businesses.
- Data science is the field of study that combines domain knowledge, programming skills, and statistical methods to extract knowledge and insights from data. Data scientists use their skills to solve business problems, make predictions, and improve decision-making.
There are many reasons why you should study MSc Data Science & Data Engineering at the University of Dundee.
You will benefit from a unique course that combines the skills of data engineering and data science. This makes you a marketable professional in today's data-driven world.
You’ll learn from leading researchers and tutors, business intelligence experts and industrial and research data scientists. This will allow you to develop your understanding of the real-life situations you could face in your career.
Over the duration of the course, you’ll study a range of core and optional modules such as:
- Introduction to Machine Learning
- Programming Languages for Data Engineering
- Big Data Analysis
As part of your studies, you will also undertake a research project. This will give you the opportunity to gain experience in carrying out an independent software development project.
Recent projects have looked at:
- Integrating third-party market data to increase sales in the drinks industry
- Providing access to Citizen Science data through a microservice architecture
- Diagnosing Skin Cancer using Artificial Intelligence and Deep Learning
If you have any questions about the admissions process, studying, or living in Dundee, please contact us